Intonation help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation help needed

I'm trying to intonate a Korean Jackson PS-2 Performer with the stock JT-500 (Floyd lic.) bridge, 9 gauge strings, standard tuning. I've got the springs adjusted so the bridge is flat when tuned to pitch. The high B & E strings I was able to intonate properly but the low E, A, D, & G are still sharp at the 12th fret with the strings at the maximum length I can set them, meaning the string saddle assembly is butted up against the back of the bridge unit and I can go no further. I actually measured the string length and it should be a little flat if anything or is this not an exact science?

Did I miss something?
    Is it possible that these cheaper guitars won't intonate properly?
    Is there something at the nut that could be wrong? It looks fine.
    If I go to 10 gauge strings will that help?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at a loss myself.

Thanks.

this might help

“But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

If there full length, of course theyll be sharp. Bring them back towards the neck. Reminds me of an old saying, I cut it twice and its still too short.
      Last edited by Twitch; 05-30-2011, 10:33 AM.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
        If there full length, of course theyll be sharp. Bring them back towards the neck. Reminds me of an old saying, I cut it twice and its still too short.
        If they're sharp... doesn't he need to lengthen the scale length?
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Are your trem posts not straight? Thats the only thing I can think of that would cause that issue. Hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
            If they're sharp... doesn't he need to lengthen the scale length?

EDIT: must not be thinking straight seems I have it backwards. I got to start getting more sleep. I guess some of it stems too from the weird way way I intonate my guitars. I intonate with the guitar itself. I pluck the string fretted at the 12th on the body side, then fret the 13th and pick the neck side of the same. I dont see the strings as whole but two halves. Occasionaly Ill check the open and 12th and if the 12th sounds off, Ill bend the string until it matches the tone left in my head from the open, if the 12th fret was flat to begin with,then I move the saddle back towards the bridge, so thats where my confusion has come in.

This method works, Ive checked it with the tuner enough to rely on it without one.
            Last edited by Twitch; 05-30-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for moving this to the proper forum, a true noob I am!

Thanks for the replies everyone and josh- bingo! I think you figured it out. Looking at the trem posts they do lean a little towards the neck side especially the treble side which is actually opposite of what I thought should happen since that is that side that is intonating. I never had looked at those before.

So next question. How do you fix crooked trem posts?! Sounds like it might be difficult, expensive or both and maybe not worth it on this guitar. I basically got this guitar for free along with a Charvel I bought from a nice guy. It was all beat up and I've brought her back to life all except for this intonation issue. It was going to be for my girlfriend as she is a beginner and just needs something that plays easy and this one does. If I can't intonate it then I don't want to give it to her although you can tune it to sound decent at the lower half of the neck which is all she would probably use for awhile. I'll probably just try to sell it for $150 or so. Plus I just scored a very nice DK2 for $170 that I'll probably give to her instead.

Anyone have a clue?

Twitch- You have an amazing set of ears if that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 8400RPM View Post

Twitch- You have an amazing set of ears if that works for you.
                It comes with experience. Ear training isnt hokum, it works, I just trained mine by years of playing things by ear. Im not pitch perfect without a reference, I can tune a guitar within a 1/4 to an 1/8 step of center without a reference, but with a reference, dead on. Its kind of a curse sometimes though as I can tell when certain effects and what not arent passing certain frequencies at negligible levels. Id never notice it in the mix, but by myself I can tell when theres tone suck in my chain, veeery little tone suck. This doesnt help the perfectionist in me.

Theres a 70Hz-ish overtone on my low E thats getting killed by my noisegate, the over tone would be there just straight into the amp, but the noise gate has decided I dont want it in there. Sure, it makes it a little more tight not having the sub-low overtone, but I like a little bit of sponge in my palm mutes. Sorry for the derailment.
                Last edited by Twitch; 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Noise gate probably has a notch filter at 60HZ to get rid of background hum causing the drop @70Hz
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Noise gate probably has a notch filter at 60HZ to get rid of background hum causing the drop @70Hz
                    Would have never considered that, but youre probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by 8400RPM View Post
                      Thanks for the replies everyone and josh- bingo! I think you figured it out. Looking at the trem posts they do lean a little towards the neck side especially the treble side which is actually opposite of what I thought should happen since that is that side that is intonating. I never had looked at those before.

So next question. How do you fix crooked trem posts?! Sounds like it might be difficult, expensive or both and maybe not worth it on this guitar.
                      should be fairly easy. Cheap too. I picked up a cheapo Hamer years ago that had the same problem (probably one reason why it was so cheap )

Took me about 10 minutes to fix and cost me next to nothing.

remove all the strings. Take the trem out. Check the posts for wobble. If you see a gap in front of the posts, pack it with toothpicks. If you want to get all fancy, you could use some wood glue. Reinstall the trem. Restring.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Teflon thread tape on the threads can greatly help with the posts wobbling too.
                        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Are you intonating it while it's on it's back? That will cause problems. Check it while your standing in playing position.
                          Last edited by decadentdave; 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by decadentdave View Post
                            Are you intonating it while it's on it's back? That will cause problems. Check it while your standing in playing position.
                            Really? I always intonte with my guitars laying flat on my lap whilst in a sitting position.
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by decadentdave View Post
                              I could see that if it were propped up by the headstock, but not with the weight on the body.

Comment

Working...
                              X