Guitar Body Roundover and Router Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Body Roundover and Router Bits

I have a router, table and speed controller so I decided to buy some bits. Any suggestion as to what type of bits I should buy? I figure a few different size flush trim bits and a roundover bit will be a good start. Does anyone know what the roundover is on a guitar body? Is it a quarter inch, or 3/8th's of an inch? Any idea what other types of bits would be useful for guitar making and repair?

TIA
    Last edited by Trussrod; 05-25-2011, 10:16 PM.

Sully will know, he is the man.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
      I was tempted to put his name in the thread title--lol.

Comment

I have a 1/8" which is the size for Dinky's, Soloists and the Star bodies I have made and 3/8 inch which is the full size Charvel/Jackson Strat body. I'm not sure if if 3/8 is the Fender size, but I guess that would be searchable on any Fender forum.

Edited, put the wrong size on the first mentioned bit.
        Last edited by plon; 05-25-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

I've been reading that Fender Strats use 7/16. I know the J/C full size Strat bodies are 3/8 though, I just checked to make sure and my Pro mods, USA Jackson and even a Musikraft "Charvel style" body I have are 3/8.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
            I've been reading that Fender Strats use 7/16. I know the J/C full size Strat bodies are 3/8 though, I just checked to make sure and my Pro mods, USA Jackson and even a Musikraft "Charvel style" body I have are 3/8.
            Thanks, Plon. :-)

Comment

Just to trow it out there, when I did the model 6 I looked at a lot of bits to use with my Rotozip and I'm sure you see already how expensive they are. I bought the Skil brand ones from lowes and they all worked great and were much cheaper than other more expensive ones. At least for occasional use I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Just my experience.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                Just to trow it out there, when I did the model 6 I looked at a lot of bits to use with my Rotozip and I'm sure you see already how expensive they are. I bought the Skil brand ones from lowes and they all worked great and were much cheaper than other more expensive ones. At least for occasional use I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Just my experience.
                That's what I bought also. Skil has a 3 piece set at Lowes, it comes with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I bought the 1/8 separately, it's a Skil also.

Comment

+1 plon. Exactly what I bought and used.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

@warlock: They are expensive, thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                      Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      I was tempted to put his name in the thread title--lol.

Originally posted by plon View Post
                      I have a 1/8" which is the size for Dinky's, Soloists and the Star bodies I have made and 3/8 inch which is the full size Charvel/Jackson Strat body. I'm not sure if if 3/8 is the Fender size, but I guess that would be searchable on any Fender forum.

Edited, put the wrong size on the first mentioned bit.
                      Plon is the man!
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a thread. I'm just building a router table so I can make some deco softwood trusses (47mm/shy of 2") off a template for a customer and I need to get a bearing trimmer router bit so I have been looking and thinking..

Seen the size for roundover bits here - brilliant! - But just wondering about bearing trimmer bits -

What diameter trimmer bit is the best for a guitar body? - Will a 19mm diameter x 2" do the job in one go if I only leave 3mm (1/10") overlap with the bandsaw? This seems quite close but I guess it's a given to avoid chipping or the router work jumping. I don't know what diameter and length is best to get into the recesses of the template, or is a shorter bit used in progressively set depths better?

I take it bottom bearing guided trimmer bits, with the template underneath your work are best? - These are really hard to find here in the UK and are incredibly expensive when you find them ($160+). Most are end bearing bits. You can't even just walk into your local trade tool supplier and get them, like you could just walk in JCPenney or Lowes and get them off the shelf over there whilst you are buying your underwear for some reason. I figure, as I'm not going to use them professionally and only once in a while, I don't need them to last so I'II go with cheaper bits. Although I do want to do a rock Maple body or Mahogany strat at some stage and I know that wood is hard.

Honestly though I reckon I'II do some softwood work and two strat bodies max, one being ash, the other maple, would cheap trimmer bits cut it and what size bit is an overall ideal? Best I can find for the money is a Trend 19mm Diameter x 50mm Shank double bearing (Top and Bottom) trimmer bit. Sound OK to anyone?
                        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Like this?

I call it "the spinny bit of death" because it's scares the living shit out of me. I use it from time to time, but there's a much higher risk of kickback and tearout when you're trying to trim that much surface. And when it happens, it's scary as hell. If you've got a spindle sander, you're better off, IMO. That said, I will generally use 1" length cutters with a 1/2" diameter/bearing on it.

Sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                            I call it "the spinny bit of death"
                            Aptly named. I would want chainmail gear to do any work with that thing spinning at high rpms.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yeah, that's the beast exactly! But I found out the green Trend range is kack, apparently hobby/DIY range and the bearings burn out, so luckily found an online supplier of bespoke stuff which comes highly reccomended from UK router forums for next day delivery - didn't know there were such things.

I'II go with an inch bit then and go progressive for the bodies, although might try the death spinny will do for the softwood ("Redwood" - Scots Pine), although it is soft and only really needs a sand. Hey thanks man!

I always find that wearing good ear defenders as well as goggles helps me to remain calm and not shit myself in woodworking gone bad situations, like it focuses the other senses and you can have a piece of hardwood shrapnel completely lodged in your forehead but it doesn't phase you.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X