Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last batch Wildcard #3...a little help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last batch Wildcard #3...a little help please.

I picked up a brand new last batch Wildcard #3 not too long ago and lovin it except I found the JB to be a little too bright and thin in this guitar.

I've tried the Full Shred, Distortion, Dimebucker and a Tone Zone.
    It currently sports a SD Custom but still not really diggin the tone too much.
    All I have left is a non F spaced Pearly Gates and I may drop it in just to see what it sounds like.
    (I will say that the JB does sounds great in my US SO CAL though.)

I'm running into 5150 III so I don't need a really high output pickup as the amp has plenty of gain.

I'm mainly familiar with Duncan and never have liked Dimarzios, even their Super D.

Any suggestions outside of SD and DiMarzio in a similar price range?

I'd hate to drop anything over $100 on a pickup that I may not like.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Damn, if all those different pickups don't do it for you, maybe it's the guitar? Maybe try actives?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Since you're already running a high gain amp, how about a lower output pickup like a Duncan 59, Screaming Demon or try that PG. a Dimarzio PAF is also one to try. I like the Super Distortn and Duncan Custom in mine.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        Since you're already running a high gain amp, how about a lower output pickup like a Duncan 59, Screaming Demon or try that PG. a Dimarzio PAF is also one to try. I like the Super Distortn and Duncan Custom in mine.
        I used to lean toward ceramic magnet pickups and the Duncan Dist. in particular but I'm finding Alnico a little more to my liking these days. I noticed the higher output pickups were a little muddy in this amp.

Your suggestion of a lower output p/u like the '59 makes sense. I may try the Pearly Gates tonight as they are somewhat similar.
        All the pickups I tried ended up working great in my other guitars.

This Wildcard #3 is just a particularly bright sounding guitar.
        Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

I understand thinking all of those pickups you've tried sound thin, except the TZ, they are usually very fat. I would try a Custom Custom, or just take the Custom you have and put an Alnico 2 magnet in it. Other than that, maybe a DiMarzio Breed.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I understand thinking all of those pickups you've tried sound thin, except the TZ, they are usually very fat. I would try a Custom Custom, or just take the Custom you have and put an Alnico 2 magnet in it. Other than that, maybe a DiMarzio Breed.
            It's a bright sounding guitar not thin really.

I put in the Pearly Gates last night but won't be able to hear it through my rig until later today.

I also ordered some A5 magnets for my SD Custom and Distortion plus some other ceramic magnet pickups I have sitting around.
            It's just an experiement as I've never done this before but looks like it's kind of easy.

Comment

Are you sure there isn't a problem with the volume pot or something? That's really weird. What other kinds of guitars do you play? Any of the 5 I owned sounded anything but thin.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                Are you sure there isn't a problem with the volume pot or something? That's really weird. What other kinds of guitars do you play? Any of the 5 I owned sounded anything but thin.
                It's not thin sounding just very bright.
                Unplugged even....this thing is snappy bright.
                I don't have this problem with my So Cals or any other guitars.
                I like the Pearly Gates ok so far but it's a big difference from the JB in my fave So Cal.

There are so many p/u makers now I was wondering if anybody had any experience with something new around $75 - $100 bucks that that they liked in their San Dimas.
                Someone suggested GFS VEH. Doing a little reasearch on that one right now.

Comment

I can`t notice any difference unplugged but compared to my So-Cal.... the Duncans in my San Dimas are a bit too tangy and bright (but only on the cleaner tones I use) with my ears anyhow...

I`ll be swapping them out sometime for a set of DiMarzios... Not sure about the neck pup yet but a FRED in the bridge is safe bet for me...

my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Joe View Post
                    It's not thin sounding just very bright.
                    Unplugged even....this thing is snappy bright.
                    I don't have this problem with my So Cals or any other guitars.
                    I like the Pearly Gates ok so far but it's a big difference from the JB in my fave So Cal.

There are so many p/u makers now I was wondering if anybody had any experience with something new around $75 - $100 bucks that that they liked in their San Dimas.
                    Someone suggested GFS VEH. Doing a little reasearch on that one right now.
                    Don't know anything about the VEH. I have tried a Custom 5 (Custom with Alnico 5 magnet) and it was way too scooped for me, so I'm thinking that isn't the direction you want to go. I would try an Alnico 2 in the Custom.

My <$0.02...

Comment

Do the tone controls on your amp work? Why not mess with them first?
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Do the tone controls on your amp work? Why not mess with them first?
                        Yes, but I set them and go.
                        I'm able to switch between 3 or 4 guitars without any major tone change until I plug this one in.
                        Just trying to find something that brings down the brightness and not make such a dramatic tone change.

Comment

The Korean made floyd on the promods uses zinc alloy saddles and a zink alloy sustain block instead of the hardened steel saddles and brass block that are used on the german made Floyds. I swapped out the Korean one for a German made Floyd. The brightness dissappeared and was replaced with more sustain and depth to the tone. This was with the JB still in the guitar. I know others have stated that the floyds are the same but it is simply not true. I was fortunate to have a spare floyd laying around the swap did not cost me any $.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                            The Korean made floyd on the promods uses zinc alloy saddles and a zink alloy sustain block instead of the hardened steel saddles and brass block that are used on the german made Floyds. I swapped out the Korean one for a German made Floyd. The brightness dissappeared and was replaced with more sustain and depth to the tone. This was with the JB still in the guitar. I know others have stated that the floyds are the same but it is simply not true. I was fortunate to have a spare floyd laying around the swap did not cost me any $.
                            Excellent idea. Also, this guitar is the only one I own with a chrome floyd.
                            My So Cals have black hardware and aren't as bright sounding though.

Maybe an OFR is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Joe View Post
                              Maybe an OFR is in order.
                              I've done the swap several times and experienced zero change in tone.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X