Neck Profiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Profiling

Can you/ is it safe to: re-shape the back of a neck? Lets say a guitar has a thick D profile, but I wanted to change it with the help up some sandpaper or something to a flatter, thinner D shape. Could this be done safely, how? What should be taken into consideration when planning and actually performing the procedure?
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I used to do it all my guitars. Just used sandpaper in my left hand as i would hold the guitar putting the pressure on the curve of my thumb to pointer finger and use even strokes (hehe).
    It shapes the neck perfectly to your hand, never had better feeling necks. Just go slowly and pay attention to how much your taking it down. I never needed to get too drastic with it, it was partly just to take the gloss off and a little shaping to contour my hand. Rub some oil on it after, never had a problem with the necks. I used to also scallop my fretboards with sandpaper half way up from the bottom along the G-B-E strings only, just to get under those strings better. To this day i still miss my old fernandes, cost me 180 bucks at a pawn shop and after i was done with modding it it ruled. I reshaped the headstock did all that to the neck, recessed the floyd, cut out some access on the bottom horn, contoured the heel, threw some pups in it. Best player i ever had.
    Last edited by Trem; 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling, gads :|

Comment

I've often thought of doing this to my CR8. I don't get fat necks. Oh well.

Comment

I've seen Sully on youtube do it before. Of course he's a master of guitar. I've thought of doing it myself, but I'm chicken. Good luck.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I was going to say, I asked about this once and Sully sent me some pics. The process basically was to use a small sanding drum (like a dremel type) and cut indentations to the depth you want in a bunch of spots up the neck. Then just even it out between the indents and shape how you want it. I'd try it out on a donor neck first but I wouldn't be afraid to try it.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Make sure you know what kind of truss rod is in there. If it is a single way adjusting rod, it will have a bow or arch cut into the neck to accompany that type of truss rod construction. Be careful mid neck. I have seen guys go through there. Also, if it is a two way adjusting rod, it will have a uniform cut through the neck. It will be approx 3/8ths-1/2 in deep under where the neck and the fretboard are laminated. If you find your self to add a lot of back bow on your guitar to counter a bowed neck, then you will stress that area of wood behind the trussrod.

Just a couple things to consider.
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Good point, sir! I'm assuming this is a Jackson neck which should have a straight rout in there. You need calipers, neck measurements that you want to replicate, and a dremel with the small sanding drum. I'll write some steps later on when I get home.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I often wondered if trussrods were sunk halfway into the neck or if it was always/generally "x distance" beneath the fretboard regardless of total neck thickness. Would love to take a DK2M neck down to JTX neck thickness.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Depends on the truss rod, really. The ones I install use a straight channel that's 3/8" deep.

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    Good point, sir! I'm assuming this is a Jackson neck which should have a straight rout in there. You need calipers, neck measurements that you want to replicate, and a dremel with the small sanding drum. I'll write some steps later on when I get home.
                    Just a general question mainly, though I am considering taking my DKMGTFF's neck down to that of my 96 KE3.

Comment

I love fat necks, why buy one if you don't like it? The more meat the better

Serious answer is yes it can be done and a lot of people do it or have it done
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post

Serious answer is yes it can be done and a lot of people do it or have it done
                        Didnt buy one I didnt like, bought one later that I liked better, plus Ive been looking at a couple guitars lately that would be near perfect if it werent for the neck profile. Im a little to scared to do it my self though beyond the sand paper and hand trick. How much do you guys think a good luthier would charge??

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                          Didnt buy one I didnt like, bought one later that I liked better, plus Ive been looking at a couple guitars lately that would be near perfect if it werent for the neck profile. Im a little to scared to do it my self though beyond the sand paper and hand trick. How much do you guys think a good luthier would charge??
                          I'll practice on your guitar for free before doing mine

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                            In my case it was just the most awesome LP and still is. I can deal with the neck, but when I go and play my shredder thin 60's neck 2002 Std., it's like "Yeah, now we're talking!". Just seems much easy to play and yes, you're going to hate hearing it...FASTER

Comment

Just curious, how much are you looking to take off? When I was thinking about doing this, I measured my DKMG which I considered "thick-ish" at about .850" at the 12th fret and my JDR-94 which is very thin was about .785". I would think .100" would be on the very high side of what I'd ever remove without feeling I weakened the neck.
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X