Amp/Speaker Hum HELP NEEDED.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp/Speaker Hum HELP NEEDED.

Okay, let me try to explain this the best that I can. You know the sound you hear when the amp is on, but the cable isn't connected to the guitar yet? Well, I have this quite loud even when the guitar is plugged in. It's a bit of a hum. I have tried different sets of cords and numerous guitars. My guitars with high output and active pickups are the worse. I'm really frustrated and I don't want to take the head to be serviced unless I'm told it would help. The head is a solid state Ampeg SS-150H and I'm running through an Ampeg 1/2 stack with 4 12 inch Celestions. I've tried both the low and high inputs on the head, changed the polarity switch on the back and also tried the different outputs on the back of the head and the inputs on the cabinet. ANY HELP AND OPINIONS ARE WANTED! I can also upload a video of the noise to youtube if it would help. THANKS!

Try this device and see if it helps.

EbtechHUMXHumEliminator.jpg
    Sam

Comment

Thanks! Has anyone else used this product? I figured I'd ask before ordering it.

Comment

Also, that same company makes a product called "Ebtech Hum Eliminator" Which would you think could help the most? http://www.amazon.com/EBTECH-Hum-X-E.../dp/B0002E4YH4

Comment

Before you buy anything, has the amp always done this? Does it do it in any outlet in the house? Does it do it at other peoples houses? Does the power cable have the ground prong intact? Is your house new enough to actually have a ground buss?
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I've had the head a few weeks, I honestly don't know how long it's been doing it or if my old head did it. It might sound funny, but my girlfriend's son plays guitar and he mentioned how loud it was. Now, of course I am listening for it and it's all I hear. I have tried a few outlets, but it does it in all of them. This is an old house, built in the 1940s and the electricity is old "knob and tube" wiring in most of the house. I've never heard this type of a noise so loud, it's exactly as I've heard when you have an amp turned up and have the cord disconnected, except this doesn't stop when you plug into guitars. If this product will fix it or cut it down, i'd be happy, but I'd hate to waste $60 and have the same issue

Comment

okay, I found a video where I guess used a meter to detect voltage flowing through amps, etc, when there is not proper grounding. I did this and found voltage running through my amp and cables, even when the head was powered off. I discovered there is a 3 prong outlet, but no ground. I grounded the outlet to the box, but it didn't fix anything. Any ideas now that I know there is no ground in the circuit?

Comment

In order for a ground to work, it needs to actually go to ground outside. Check you service/breaker box, there should be a ground going to the neutral buss. If there is not, then your house is not grounded. Older houses were done this way. Being your house is as old as it is, it probably wont have a ground, in that event, its just something youll have to deal with unless you have the wiring updated, which is costly and time consuming.
                Last edited by Twitch; 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM.

Comment

PM me your number, Ill call you on my dime, there may be some options.

Comment

Could be a bad ground on one of the jacks making it hum. It could be the speaker cable too. Try a new speaker cable. Hopefulle its not the head. A head will have current goin thru it until the caps are discharged.
                    Gil

Comment

Working...
                    X