Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Fernandes Sustainer experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Fernandes Sustainer experts out there?

Ok, so I am having a Fernandes unit installed in my new super strat build. It's going to be a BKP humbucker and the Fernandes in the neck. The Fernandes comes with a prewired board with 2 mini's. What I want to do is remove the one mini and have it replaced with a large 2 way toggle just to turn the sustainer on and off. Has anyone done anything like this?
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Not recommended unless you're experienced with board level soldering.
    You can do it, but you essentially void any warranty and run the risk of damaging the board traces in the process.
    -Rick

Comment

Are they on the board or connected to wires coming from the board? I'd assume they were attached by wires. If that's the case, you should be able to replace the switches, so long as you get the same type (DPDT, etc).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No, they are soldered to the board. My luthier will be doing the work and I am confident in his ability. The issue we are having is finding a switch with the correct amount of lugs to do the work of this mini. I really want a normal size toggle and not the mini since all it will be doing for me is turning the sustainer on of off. I wont be using it as a pickup at all. In theory it should be fine but I am just trying to find the right hardware. Anyone have any good places to search out toggles out of the ordinary?
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

The main problem you'll have, then, is finding one with the same body size but a larger collar because of the pin spacing. The size of the toggle handle will determine how big the body can be, and thus affect the pin spacing.

What you'll end up doing is having to attach the new larger toggle by running wires to the board.

In that event, any similarly-pinned switch will work.

I've got the Sustainiac (like what comes in the DK2S) and it has push/pulls connected via wires. The DK2S uses mini toggles. Since they're wired and not directly mounted, you can use either one.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Yeah, what the plan will be is to remove the mini switch from the board and then wire the larger toggle back to the board. The problem, apparently, is finding a larger 2 way toggle that has the same specs as the mini.

Comment

So what's the mini? SPST? SPDT? DPDT? You can use one side of a DPDT to do just about any other switch-type's work.

Comment

Why are you going with the Fernandes? Check out Sustainiac.com. Better product, more versatile install and great support. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Working...
                X