pickup compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup compatability

I was finally able to determine what pickups were in my model 2 . there are 2 single coil SSL-1 seymour duncans on the neck and middle and the bridge pickup is the j 90-c. I spoke to seymour duncan and they thought the screamin demon humbucker would go good with the single coils . What do you guys think?

I don't see what the problem is. You haven't said what's wrong.

Comment

Don I have a model 2 that has 2 single coils added. I was unsure what they were until someone on the forum identified them for me. They are SD SSL-1 single coils. I have the original J90-C in the humbucker position of the model 2 currently. I am asking if they are a good match or would the screamin demon humbucker be a better match? looking for versatility and a good pairing. Trying to avoid the ----man that sounds like two different guitars--- effect

Comment

As Don said, if SD already answered the question......what's the problem? I'd say get a Custom, but that's just me and my preference. You might like the Demon, I don't know.

Try various pickups and find one you like.

You're always going to have a volume mismatch between humbuckers and single coils, even if they are stacked. It's unavoidable unless you get a really low-output humbucker (like the Jazz bridge or something). Since I've not personally tried the Demon, I don't know how it would match with the SSLs, but in my years of pickup swapping/matching experience, if you're looking to maintain a tonal-character relationship, then you'd want a humbucker that sounded closest to a single in both output and EQ.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by MODEL5FX View Post
          Don I have a model 2 that has 2 single coils added. I was unsure what they were until someone on the forum identified them for me. They are SD SSL-1 single coils. I have the original J90-C in the humbucker position of the model 2 currently. I am asking if they are a good match or would the screamin demon humbucker be a better match? looking for versatility and a good pairing. Trying to avoid the ----man that sounds like two different guitars--- effect
          My EMG-81 and EMG-S in the neck guitar is like that but I find it works well. The S is great for cleans and the 81 for crunch.

FWIW those SSL1's are regarded as great stratty single coils, but if the volume issue bugs you too much, it might be easier replacing them with hot rails to match the J90.

Comment

I have the SSL1's in the neck and Middle of my Warmoth with a TB-5 Custom with a splitter in the bridge. I absolutely love this setup.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Screamin' Demon is a GREAT sounding pickup, but has relatively low output (around 10K). I had one in my model 4, but had the opposite problem-the singles were much louder! The demon will probably work well for you.

Comment

Working...
              X