Removing my EMG 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing my EMG 81

Guys, since i'm not such a fan of the really heavy stuff, i also want to use my guitar for playing clean and whatever music actually! so im really planning on removing my EMG 81/85 on my 1995 Rhoads Pro, for a set of JB/Jazz. I've done some reading on the two and what i believe is that:

EMG: clearer / tighter / louder
    JB: less gain / more responsive / much better cleans than emg 81/85

So i guess the JB really isn't bad for the characteristics i'm seeking?
    what are your thoughts on this? or should i just keep the emg's on this, and then put
    duncans on my rotting Kelly STD?

JB and Jazz by far...
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Randy liked a Duncan Distortion and a Jazz in his.

I have a JB and 59 in my SL2H and it smokes. No issue at all, but I play heavier stuff with it. Megadeth, Loudness, Ratt...

I have the "Duncan Designed" Distortion and Jazz (HB103 set) in my Kelly and it's another notch harder - for old school Metallica.

I have the EMG set in my Kelly Star, RR24M (81 only) and Fusion Pro (81 and EMG-S).

I tend to use my passive loaded guitars alot more than my EMG's but I do like the EMGs. The Fusion Pro has a great hard rock sound. I like playing Great White songs with it (think Ronk Me and Once Bitten Twice Shy). For some weird reason it's got that 335 kinda tone. It's 18 volts too.

My RR24M is once of my favorite guitars for playing Lynch stuff. Of course Lynch was never known for playing EMG's (Duncan Distortions then Sreamin Demons) but I hear what I hear.

So I guess I've thuroughly confused you by now.

Comment

I loaded up my Model 4 with a 85X/SAX/SAX set. The cleans are very nice on it, it doesn't clip and I can crank the distortion and EQ it and play heavier stuff no problem (I'm using a Zoom 9.2tt console right now which has a 6-band graphic EQ). Fairly versitile without the sometimes sterile sound of the 81/81X.

Edit: Just noticed you're talking about an H/H setup. Have you tried the 18v mod and/or swapping the 81/85 so the 85 is in the bridge?
        Last edited by SausageofPower; 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Duncan Custom > JB.

Especially for clean tones. Jazz is killer at the neck for cleans.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Try a set of Alnico Pro's
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I would try the 59 bridge, Pearly Gates neck.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Alnico pros don't sound good in alder or poplar IMO very lack luster tone.Your RR pro is maple and poplar.
                JB and Jazz is a good choice.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Duncan Custom > JB.

Especially for clean tones. Jazz is killer at the neck for cleans.
                  I'd second this. The Custom handles cleans much better than the JB and it's much more open sounding distorted: more of what you're after there, than better/worse IMO.

Btw, don't forget to swap out the pots when you make the change. The EMGs will be using lower impedance values than you need for passives.

Comment

I dunno, the RR Pro is still going to have a certain aggressive punch to it due to the shape - a more focused midrange, as most Vs do.

I'd keep the EMG setup for it, but do an 85/89 set, or dual 89s so you can split them both for single-coil tones/cleans.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X