Action setup question for JS30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action setup question for JS30

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have a question about setting the action on my guitar. Its the fixed bridge model JS30DKT (gunmetal grey)
    I'd like the action to be fairly low but getting bad fret buzz. Have tried slightly adjusting the truss-rod to fix the prob but still buzzes from 12th fret up to the pickups.
    Is there a proper height to set the strings relating to the frets/neck?
    Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Hi Johnny,

How low is low? Can you fit a 1mm plectrum between E string and 12th fret? I have a JS30 RR and it plays ok, but I had to fiddle a little to get the height (no truss rod adjusting though!).

Where's the buzz happening? All over?
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

If it's buzzing from the middle on up, you likely have too much back bow in the neck so you may need to loosen the truss rod a bit.
      Try giving about 1/8 to 1/4 turn counterclockwise, re-tune, then see if it's better.
      Bear in mind that some guitars take some time to "settle" after a truss rod adjustment.
      Last edited by DalyTek; 04-19-2011, 04:53 PM.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
        If it's buzzing from the middle on up, you likely have too much back bow in the neck so you may need to loosen the truss rod a bit.
        Try giving about 1/8 to 1/4 turn counterclockwise, re-tune, then see if it's better.
        Bear in mind that some guitars take some time to "settle" after a truss rod adjustment.
        Wrong way round, buzzing in the upper register/not on the lower frets would be due to the neck being too concave, and it should be tightened (i.e. straightening the neck).

Comment

Hey guys, would like to start off by thanking all of you for your helpful input! As well as playing guitar i like to know and understand how the setting up bit works so i can get the best out of my instruments. Tommie, thanks for your reply - seems my tune-o-matic was totally the wrong way round! DalyTek, indeed the truss rod took about a quarter turn to fix the neck. Wanthairspray, my clearance from fretboard to strings is about 1.5mm using 9-42 D'Addario strings. Having done these things there seems to be very little buzzing at all now. There is a very little amount of buzz but a mate of mine says its a combo of the new strings and the fact that the frets themselves need to be "played-in" a little. I have installed a few pickups on guitars before and so got myself an Entwistle HDN for my bridge position. Its quite a hot humbucker for only £20! Cheers guys.

Comment

Comment

You can't link to a photo from your Windows Live account unless it's publicly shared...
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

OOps! Hope this works this time...
                DSCF1855.JPG (file://JOHN-PC/Users/John/Desktop/DSCF1855.JPG)

Comment

Ummm, no. You need either your own website and allow direct-linking of pics or the dreaded Photobucket account and paste the Share link it gives you.

And it's only a JS30, so you're not going to get really great action/setup out of it. They're designed to get you started playing, not so much for "just like a more expensive model" setups.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My apologies, It seems i am not so very literate in all things computer. Good thing I can play a bit of guitar eh!! Haa Haa

Comment

Working...
                    X