Wanting to mod a Seymour Duncan Invader. Help,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to mod a Seymour Duncan Invader. Help,

Has anyone changed the pole pieces on an Invader pickup? I like the output this pickup puts out but it's a little to muddy. Was wanting to put in regular style pole pieces and see if this does this but, I've never taken a pickup apart. I'm not too worried about ruinning the Invader as it's a Duncan Designed copy, just wanting to try some stuff out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

They use 2 slug side bobbins. You don't have to take the whole pickup apart, you can unscrew the existing pole pieces and as long as the wax and screws hold the magnet in place, you can push the slugs in, they may not go in easily but with some force they should.

Comment

You're better off just swapping the pickup out. Invaders are kinda known for not being all that bright to begin with- there's little you can do to "mod" it to change its tonal characteristics, as its sound is also defined by the types of magnets and number of windings in the coils as well as the pole pieces.

If you're looking for a pickup with similar output, try getting a Dimebucker or DiMarzio X2N/Deactivator instead.
      Last edited by DrDestruction; 04-15-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

An Invader is a Duncan Distortion with the big allen slugs. Same gauge wire, same resistance and same magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
          An Invader is a Duncan Distortion with the big allen slugs. Same gauge wire, same resistance and same magnet.
          Oh, I didn't realize that, thank you.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Well, not exactly the same magnet. The Duncan Distortion has a single oversided, while the Invader has three magnets.

Try taking out the oversided bolts and put in regular allen heads like on a Super Distortion.

Comment

Working...
            X