Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielding Experts: Need Help...

I'm putting together an old charvel with fender style pickguard an HSS

I've applied and soldered all my shielding tape in the cavity and pickguard.

My questions is this:

Do I need to run a ground wire somewhere or will it ground to the volume/tone pot? If so where?

Also, Previous owner had a wire running fro floyd to a screw in the cavit wall? What was this for?

I just dont want to end up with a ground loop
    Thanks

Rich

Just run the ground from the floyd and all pickups to the volume pot, the tape should be grounded to the pots by way of touching the casing or shaft, and the tape should be overlapped onto the body a little to make contact with the tape on the pickguard. You can use a multimeter to make sure there is continuity with all the tape.

Comment

Originally posted by deviltronix View Post
      Also, Previous owner had a wire running fro floyd to a screw in the cavit wall? What was this for?
      That was a ground anchor. The cavity was probably coated with shielding paint.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
        Just run the ground from the floyd and all pickups to the volume pot, the tape should be grounded to the pots by way of touching the casing or shaft, and the tape should be overlapped onto the body a little to make contact with the tape on the pickguard. You can use a multimeter to make sure there is continuity with all the tape.
        Awesome, thanks. this is what I was planning but after looking online I noticed some really advance strat solutions (like using capacitors in the ground to avoid shock) and started to doubt myself.

Comment

Working...
        X