Anyone have a tremolo stop installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a tremolo stop installed?

Does anyone have this tremolo stop installed? If so do you know the height of the unit?

I want to install one in one of my Charvel's but want to ensure that the height of the wood in the back of the tremolo cavity will allow the unit to work.

I see from the attached photo that this one has the stop screw barely touching the tremolo block.

No where on the web is there a PDF with the specs of the units. The last one that I ordered was pretty much useless as the unit was too high for any proper contact.

For what its worth I wish to install it in a Model 3 with a 42mm block.

Last edited by vklobucar; 04-08-2011, 11:46 PM.

It looks pretty generic. Hard to say what it is or actual height. I have used the old ESP arming adjusters, they have the stop "screw" lower because the way they mount. Problem with the one I am seeing with that particular height sustain block is that the front mounting screw is directly below the "stop" screw, thus the higher height to clear it. Depending on the situation, I machine them with different mounting screw patterns or mount with flatheads in a countersunk hole allowing lower stop height. Also, ALWAYS with some type of locking set up so the stop screw won't move under any situation. I also get wierded out by un-even trem spring spacing so I usually run four backed off outer-spaced springs with one stop or two triangle shaped base stops and run my usual three springs all coming from the center most claw attachments with one spring to the center and two to the outermost sustain block spring holes. I run three springs always in that way without a stop. I find it reacts better. Thats me, everyone has there opinion and I tend to over-analyze things.

Comment

I agree that this one looks too high and that the screws could have been countersunk thereby giving that added extra few 1/16" difference. Problem is that I have no access to a machine shop and will just order one online.

I am not in the mood to spend $30 and realize (again) that it is too tall and pretty much pointless.

Comment

I have one of those out of the package that I haven't installed yet, and the total height of the side with the stop screw is 1/2", so you would need at least that much room. The center of the stop screw is about 5.5/16" height, and the top of the stop screw is about 7/16" height so hopefully your block is in that range.

I have successfully put them in soloists, a fusion, and a Rhoads V without height or contact issues, but they all had 32mm blocks, so probably not a good comparison.

EDITED FOR STUPIDITY:I originally wrote 5/8" height & 7/8" height for the stop screw. I meant 16ths.
        Last edited by Ward; 04-09-2011, 09:32 AM. Reason: Fractions

Comment

I have one of those installed on my Kelly and I had no issue with it getting in the way of the cavity cover.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

One of those is installed on the B.C. Rich Retro Gunslinger I just got, and it's either a 32mm or 37mm block, but I haven't changed strings yet to see. It works fine, and I'm sure it'll work fine with a 42mm block.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Adam emailed me back and said the following...

"The center of the screw is 10mm up from center"

I will measure tonight see if that works.

As for the cavity cover, I am not worried because I NEVER install them back. LOL! I must have a pile of those babies just collecting dust somewhere.

I am just worried that the screw will not make at least 50% contact with the trem block.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                Adam emailed me back and said the following...

"The center of the screw is 10mm up from center"

I will measure tonight see if that works.

As for the cavity cover, I am not worried because I NEVER install them back. LOL! I must have a pile of those babies just collecting dust somewhere.

I am just worried that the screw will not make at least 50% contact with the trem block.
                My point with that is that it sits low enough not to interfere with the cover, so it will probably sit low enough to work with just about any size sustainer block.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I agree however I swapped the JT-6 trem for an OFR and notice that it sits just a wee higher.

As such even my new 42mm Brass Big Block is not clearing the back wood route as deep as the JT-6 did.

I will measure and be sure tonight.

Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Comment

I have 15mm from the back wood route to the top of the trem block. Seems that it might work out.

Comment

If I can help out machining one up let me know. I meant no rub by my post.

Comment

None taken Mate!

Very kind of you as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X