Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of paint is used on most guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of paint is used on most guitars?

I need to do some touch up work and I'm not sure what type of clear I need. Acrylic/latex, enamel, lacquer? Dont want to put something on there thats going to mess with the existing clear coat.

Thanks
    Charvel Style 2 2H San Dimas
    Charvel Predator (Rainbow Crackle)
    Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
    Jackson Soloist XL Professional
    Jackson KE3 Professional
    Jackson DK2 (Eerie Dess)
    Jackson DKMG
    Jackson DX10D Holoflash
    Jackson JS30DK
    Jackson JS30DKT
    Kramer Focus Flip-flop pink
    Digitech GNX 4
    Randall Half Stack

Unless it's a Gibson with old-school nitro lacquer, the vast majority of guitars these days are painted with a polyester or polyurethane just like a car finish. It's a 2-part system, where the paint catalyzes rather than drying like a traditional paint. Touch up work can be tricky with catalyzed paints, but there are a few tricks for doing drop-fills for chips. Some people just use super glue for small chips in the clear.

Comment

Yep. If you just have chipped clear, you can do CA drop fills and sand them flat. You're going to have what's called a witness line from where the clear ends and the glue begins, but that's pretty unavoidable. Poly doesn't really burn together like lacquer does.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        Another question.
        Can you point me in the direction of a decent spray gun (I havent done any painting since the late 80's in autobody class. LOL). Ive checked some out at Home Depot and they range from $30-$150. I dont necessarily need the best gun. Just one that will get the job done. I just plan on painting solid colors so I dont need anything for details. Im gonna be learning on the fly so I want a gun that doesnt have too many unnecessary bells and whistles.
        Charvel Style 2 2H San Dimas
        Charvel Predator (Rainbow Crackle)
        Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
        Jackson Soloist XL Professional
        Jackson KE3 Professional
        Jackson DK2 (Eerie Dess)
        Jackson DKMG
        Jackson DX10D Holoflash
        Jackson JS30DK
        Jackson JS30DKT
        Kramer Focus Flip-flop pink
        Digitech GNX 4
        Randall Half Stack

Comment

Most guitars can be shot with a detail gun; especially for color. I've got to get some new guns myself. You may be able to find some stuff from Iwata or Sata on Craigslist for a deal. I know that Devilbiss has a few different product lines as well. Here's a decent site for comparison shopping: http://www.spraygundepot.com/
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you're on a really tight budget, Harbor Freight has HVLP detail guns in the $50 range that actually work OK. I helped my dad on a project a while back and he had picked one up. I expected it to be junk, but I was surprised how well it worked.

Comment

One other tip if you need to match paint. If you have an O'Riley's auto parts near you that mixes paint (some do - check the company web site), they also have this little scanner that they can put on a guitar in three places, scan it, and match the paint for you. They can also put stuff into rattle cans as well.
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                they also have this little scanner that they can put on a guitar in three places, scan it, and match the paint for you.
                PPG outlets had this at least 15 years ago. The device was called a "prophet."

Comment

Working...
                X