Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New board member/new PC-1

Hello all,
    New to the board. I've been lurking for a week or so. I have'nt had a Jackson since I sold my 84' RR several years ago. Anyway, just picked up a used supposedly unplayed PC-1 in mocha with a born on date of October 2010. I'm pretty impressed with this guitar...as well I should be for what I paid; though, I have $600 Reverends that have as good a build quality. It is a nice guitar though....first Floyd Rose I've had in many, many years. I hope it grows on me. Right now I'm not quite use to having the mid pup right where I do most of my picking, and it's not the liveliest pickup either.
    My first question; is the sustainiac pickup sensitive to height adjustments? While I'm on pickup heights, is there a magic spot for the DMZ single in the middle and the Super 3 bridge that you guys seem to agree on. Right now I"ve got them adjusted pretty much to Dimarzio specs.
    Second, have any of you tried the "trem stopper" from Floyd Upgrades.com? I would probably only use this for string changes, and set-ups. But what concerns me is that the two screws that secure it go in right under the bridge pickup cavity.
    Third; mine came set up with 10-52's. I use 10-46's, so I changed the strings to said gauge. Of course, my trem is now dropped too far down in back. Do I loosen the spring claw screws, or remove a spring or two to compensate? I know I now have to re-float the trem as well. I found a tutorial on the floyd upgrade website on how to do it.
    Thanks guys for any info.

Adjust the spring claw to level the trem.
    Don't remove springs unless you feel the trem is too stiff.

As for the pickup height, between 1/4" and 3/8 " seems to be the sweet spot for the sustainer drive and humbucker (both should be set the same). And yes, setting it too high or too low will affect the performance of the sustainer.
    Also, the sustainer is an OEM part made by Floyd Rose for Jackson, it is not a not Sustainiac or Fernandez unit.
    The middle pup on mine is dropped as low as it can go as I never use it and yes, it gets in the way for me too.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick,
      I did get the trem level by re-floating it/adjusting the spring claw....came right in. It's ashame about the mid pickup, as I'd at least like to use it for cleans. But it does get in my way. There's already a big volume difference between it and the other two pickups.

Comment

The mid pickup (DiMarzio HS2) is a stacked humbucker (4 leads), and I think it sounds pretty decent, it's just in my way.
        -Rick

Comment

Rick, not trying to contradict you, but 1/4" to 3/8" for the pickup height seems really low. that's unfretted, from pole piece to bottom of strings?

Comment

I should have clarified my statement, that's fretted at the 12th fret.
            There needs to be a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the string and pole piece.
            This is the sweet spot for the sustainer.
            It also happens to be the sweet spot for a Super 3 as well.
            The Super 3 gets really dark, almost too dark, if you drop it any lower (increase the gap).

You could try a 1/2" gap, but you will lose some of the touch sensitivity and response from the sustainer driver.
            I've tried numerous variations and these settings give, in my opinion, the best results. It's all going to boil down to personal preference in the end though.
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-04-2011, 06:01 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

I can't get the sustainer to go that low without going crooked top to bottom. The headstock side is lower than the bridge side.

Comment

The sustainer driver has a block of foam under it. You may need to shave it a bit.
                -Rick

Comment

Shit dude... it's been awhile since I had to adjust mine, so I went an remeasured last night.
                  It's 1/4" to 3/8" UNFRETTED.

This is what I get for trying to answer questions from memory.
                  Sorry bro.
                  -Rick

Comment

No problem. Thanks Rick.

Comment

Working...
                    X