J200 spacer/height adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J200 spacer/height adjustment

Should there be spacers, springs or whatever between the 'ears' of a J200 and the body, and are these pickups supposed to have vertical adjustment in relation to the string?

Yes.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Some people use surgical tubing or springs around the screws, others use foam rubber under the whole pickup. I usually use foam weather stripping material, because I like the adhesive backing, and it seems to have less movement than with springs or tubing.
      Last edited by dg; 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keith9849 View Post
        Should there be spacers, springs or whatever between the 'ears' of a J200 and the body, and are these pickups supposed to have vertical adjustment in relation to the string?
        Well, the stock ones from the 86-89 era used black foam along the length of the pickup, excluding the ears. This was a very non-compliant spacer in my experience. I've always needed to lower the middle pickup on a Charvel Model 4 or 6 cos of my picking style and couldn't get it low enough with the foam, so I always had to shave part of the foam off with a blade. That or pull it off and replace with springs or surgical tubing as mentioned.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If you want something similar to direct mount to the wood, you could find out what height you like and make a wood shim the right height.

Comment

Working...
          X