Replacement Nut for 99 DR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Nut for 99 DR3

Hey folks need some help, my nut is pretty stripped and won't lock the clamps down anymore.

I need a replacement. Finding a stand-alone replacement is difficult for the JT-580lp Jackson nut, I can find kit's that feature a new bridge with the nut. I just need the nut.

I have a few questions:
    I'm tracking that this nut can be replaced with an OFR 43mm R4. Has anyone done this?

Does the stock nut have a PN or something that I can search by for a replacement?

Thanks

-Luke

You can get the nut you're looking for here

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
      You can get the nut you're looking for here
      Thanks! It looks like an R10 is the best fit seeing that the radius is 16"

Comment

I have a 1995 DR3 and need a new nut to . Where did you find out its a 16 inch radius on the neck. Did you check it with a radius gauge ?
        Last edited by conshyboy5; 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM. Reason: pics

Comment

The answer my friend is right in front of your eyes, re-read my reply to Slave

Comment

I have done it. The R3 is the correct size for any Jackson. The R3 Floyd nut will work, but you will have to have to:

1. Plug and re-drill the mounting holes
            2. Either lower the locking nut shelf or grind about 1 mm or so of metal off of the nut - or some combination of those.

When I did it, I was doing a Soloist, and I ground the Floyd nut off, but I had a few extras from hardware swaps, in case something went wrong. I carefully measured and kept everything square.

It's difficult to sand or file flat enough for a locking nut shelf re-do, I wouldn't try that, especially on a Soloist, where you can't remove the neck. You really you need a jig and a router.

Anyway, take the guitar and an R3 nut to a good luthier, he'll probably have it done in no more than an hour and it will be better than new with a real Floyd Rose locking nut.

If there is one near you, you could possibly talk to a mom & pop Jackson dealer and see if you can order a replacement nut for a newer DK2 of some sort through them. However if this is a guitar you plan to keep for a long time, you'll be doing this again in let's say 5 - 10 years anyway, so why not replace that junk import nut with the "standard" R3 nut that's been more or less the same for 20+ years and that you can buy from at least 10 places? :dunno:

Comment

+1 to Grind the nut and not the guitar!

Comment

Why not an R10 with a 15" radius? Won't an R3 not be flat enough?

Comment

USA Jacksons all come with an R3... It seems to work just fine.

Comment

Right, but we're talking DK3 and DR3's. These do not have a compound radius, they're are as flat as a plank, all the way through.

Comment

I'm not aware of Jackson making anything that wasn't a 12" - 16" compound radius since the 80's, when they were Charvels. :think:

Comment

Working...
                      X