Duncan Blackouts - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Blackouts - Opinions?

First of all, are they active or are they, "Look at me! I look like EMG's!" like a lot of 80's pup's.

If you have them, what do you think?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

They're active. I've never tried them myself either, so i'd like to hear some opinions too.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

More mid-range than EMG's. Tried them briefly at a guitar shop.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

They are active. My understanding is the active part is a modified version of the original EMG design that gives more headroom. Most people find them more "organic" sounding than original EMG models, imparting a little more of the natural wood tonal properties.

I have an AHB1 set in my Model 5 Charvel and I like them. They are SUPER hot output though so if you want to use them for clean stuff you'll need to adjust to turning down the volume on the guitar. The good thing about them is changing the volume doesn't really affect the tone at all, just the output level.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've got them in my DKMG. They are definitely active. They are very hot. A lot more tonal variety than EMG's, great for screaming metal. If it were my only guitar, I wouldn't use em since they are mostly geared toward metal. Not my favorites for clean tones, but I've got other guitars for that!
          My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Hotter than Jessica Alba in a two piece.

Sizzle like a bratwurst on the grill

That combination is making me quite hungry.

I like EL34s.

Comment

See I hear people use the word sizzle with these pickups but I don't get that with mine. Maybe my chubby fingers cut out some high frequencies? Or maybe I have a dud set? :think:
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Or look at it the other way,

We all have super-sizzle-y sets.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. So they're hotter than an EMG-81, but less generic sounding? Hmmm... That's definitely something that turns me off about the EMG's; they all sound the same to me.

I'll try to find a guitar with Blackouts to test.
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    I'll try to find a guitar with Blackouts to test.
                    Just understand, unlike EMGs, they don't sound the same in all guitars so they will sound different in a test guitar than in yours. Finding a guitar with blackouts already installed may be a challenge too, not as common as the EMGs. I just took a chance based on reviews and was quite happy with the results.
                    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I like 'em a lot. A bit too hot for my LP but they really boost the RG570 I have. The thing sustains for days now. I just ordered a Blackouts Modular Preamp for my Jackson (w/ SD TB-5 & SH-1) to kick the passive pickups into high(er) gain. Let's see if it changes the overall tone much.

Comment

Ive had EMGs in 5 different guitars now and none have sounded exactly the same.
                        But I like what I've heard from Blackouts. They do have more dynamic width to them.
                        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Working...
                        X