New Pickups for Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pickups for Metal

OK, looking to replace the factory Duncans in my DK2M with something with a little more "punch". I'm looking for something that will really voice palm muting, and that basic metal thunder. I have other guitars with EMG's and Duncans but I want something with a little more bass.

I was contemplating the Zakk EMG's to get his sound, but I wanted to get some veteran opinions. I play through a JCM 800 head, so I want something that will work hand in hand with that amp and my play style.

I don't have anything with Dimarzio's, and was thinking of those, but they seem to get mixed reviews. I was also thinking of Suhr. What are ya'lls thoughts?

People generally love Bareknuckle pickups. I would think the Miracle Man, Painkiller, or Aftermath models would get you the kind of tone you are looking for. I haven't tried any yet myself so I can't outright recommend them.
    Last edited by Hellbat; 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

DiMarzio Evolution is my favorite for that mean metal sound. Super easy to create harmonics too.

Comment

Get the Zakk EMG set, but then do the opposite of him and put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Get the Zakk EMG set, but then do the opposite of him and put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck.
          LOL I forgot how you love that config Joe! Does sound good that way....if you have an 85 you can temporarily try it with before buying another set I'd try it. Might be just what you're looking for.
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Invader, Custom, Custom 5, JB with a ceramic magnet.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This depends what metal sound you want. Lots of pickups will give you defined palm mutes.

Any guitar players you want to sound like? Genres?
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I'll get flamed, but I like Zakk's tone. I love the thump of a super heavy palm mute.

Genre would be a mix 80's metal and maybe a little Dio and Ozzy mixed in for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  People generally love Bareknuckle pickups. I would think the Miracle Man, Painkiller, or Aftermath models would get you the kind of tone you are looking for. I haven't tried any yet myself so I can't outright recommend them.
                  Good recommendations.

The Miracle Man or Aftermath is what you're looking for, I think. All the punch and grind of the EMGs but with a warmer and wider dynamic.
                  Otherwise, maybe an X2N if you want to try DiMarzio.
                  You could try the Seymour Duncan Blackouts too. Fatter and warmer than EMGs and more natural tone but will still deliver that tone you want.

I wouldnt go with Suhrs for that sound. Only the Aldrich from the Suhr range could really pull that off but as fantastic as that pup is, I'd look elsewhere.
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

the Miracle Man is the obvious answer. You'll get there with the Warpig, Aftermath and C-Bomb too (Ceramic Nailbomb)

EDIT: bear in mind that Zakk's tone to me is not 80s metal. If you want 80s metal you'll be best off with the regular Nailbomb, Cold Sweat, or Holy Diver
                    Last edited by Grim; 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                      LOL I forgot how you love that config Joe! Does sound good that way....if you have an 85 you can temporarily try it with before buying another set I'd try it. Might be just what you're looking for.
                      The 85 indeed kicks ass! I usually find the 81 a little too bright in most guitars, and it seems a little scooped in the mids, too.

Comment

Toejam, sooner or later you'll see the light and go the Bareknuckle route.

I won't say "I told you so!", I PROMISE.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I kind of want to put an aftermath set in my RR1T, but the custom and the jazz sound sooooo good.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                            Toejam, sooner or later you'll see the light and go the Bareknuckle route.

I won't say "I told you so!", I PROMISE.
                            I'm doing fine with my DiMarzios and Duncans and EMGs. Hell, I even love the Carvin C26 in my new 7-string I just got!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              I kind of want to put an aftermath set in my RR1T, but the custom and the jazz sound sooooo good.
                              I love the PATB2 and Jazz in my RR1T.

Comment

Working...
                              X