Emg81/sa/sa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg81/sa/sa

Ok I have had enough and am ready to get my axe sounding right... this is what I am looking at now... http://proaudioland.com/emg-sa-sa-81.html or http://proaudioland.com/emg-s-s-81.html

EMG81/SA/SA... 2 questions maybe you guys would know.

1. would everything fit right in my Fusion Pro?

2. what is the difference between the "SA" and the "S" single coils?

Resonant Frequency (Khz): 3.75 for the "SA" and 4.35 for the "S" what does this mean...

Would I have to route the routes for the pickup wire quick connects?

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Check out the infos and pdf's at emg they have all the info in them on the pickup dimensions ect..Sa is alnico magnets, S is ceramic ect..

Comment

Ok Alnico vs. Ceramic?

What the Difference?

Anyone have pics of their Jackson with white pickups?
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Not since I painted a gold Krylon Bunnyhead on a Black SL Pro with white EMGs

But yeah, the EMGs should fit in the routes with no trouble. They're pretty much the only pickups that will these days. Duncan now makes all theirs so the wire comes out the middle, as if pickguarded Strats were the only thing ever made.

Alnico will give a smoother tone, ceramic is generally more aggressive. If you're getting them for the crystalline cleans, get the SA.

Resonant Frequency in pickups is generally the loudness (though 3 and 4 are a bit on the weak side by most standards, IMO). Good for vintage Strat tones, but won't push an amp too hard (but hey, that's what pedals and good amps and racks are for!)

If you get the 81 in the bridge, get ready for a noticeable difference in volume when switching to the singles. It can't be avoided. You can, however, run the 81 off its own battery and run the singles off of another one. That helps.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
          2. what is the difference between the "SA" and the "S" single coils?

Resonant Frequency (Khz): 3.75 for the "SA" and 4.35 for the "S" what does this mean...

The Resonant Frequency determines how bright or dark a pickup is. The 4.35KHz "S" model will be brighter and glassier. The 3.75KHz "SA" model will be darker and bluesier.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

If you get the 81 in the bridge, get ready for a noticeable difference in volume when switching to the singles. It can't be avoided. You can, however, run the 81 off its own battery and run the singles off of another one. That helps.
            I installed these for a customer and noticed the same thing. In the end the customer ended up ripping them out and installing something else. The overall sound was great, but the volume difference was unacceptable.

Comment

I've got a EMG 81-S-S setup, and it is pretty killer. The EMG S is very sensitive to pickup height. I was able to smooth out the volume difference to where I don't even notice it by adjusting the height.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                I've got a EMG 81-S-S setup, and it is pretty killer. The EMG S is very sensitive to pickup height. I was able to smooth out the volume difference to where I don't even notice it by adjusting the height.
                And I've got an EMG-81/S setup (wire 18v but that doesn't matter) and it sounds good too. I can switch to the single for Jazzy cleans and the 81 for crunch. It's my Great White "Rock Me" guitar

Comment

Can you guys post videos of "S" vs. "SA"

I am leaning towards SA... can someone measure the quick connectors that go to the pickup?

I can't find the specs on them.

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it.
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Well I just bought the EMG81/SA/SA... hope the connectors fit through the body.

:think:
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                      Can you guys post videos of "S" vs. "SA"
                      WTF? Trust me, the world ain't ready for my playing

SA is easy. Just think Pink Floyd. He (Gilmore) used a strat with three SA's for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        WTF? Trust me, the world ain't ready for my playing
                        We are all Jackson fans who gives a shit about how good we are...

Check out my sig youtube channel for some shitty guitar playing...
                        sigpic
                        Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                          I installed these for a customer and noticed the same thing. In the end the customer ended up ripping them out and installing something else. The overall sound was great, but the volume difference was unacceptable.
                          Yeah, I had the same problem with EMGs with a hss or hs config. I remedied it by hooking an SPC control to the EMG single and not the hum.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                            Yeah, I had the same problem with EMGs with a hss or hs config. I remedied it by hooking an SPC control to the EMG single and not the hum.
                            I have an afterburner hooked to the neck only, similar result

Comment

Working...
                            X