Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about gold plating

Hey Guys,

Anyone know, in general, the quality of the gold plating on guitar parts? Is it 14kt, 18kt, 24kt? I've got some brass parts I want gold plated, and I'm sure they're going to ask me this question. Thanks!
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

I'm not sure I've ever seen any guitar parts that are actually listed as "gold plated."
    I'm just guessing that they are finished in a gold-looking electroplate, not a true gold plating.
    I would imagine they would actually specify the karat of the electroplate if they were actually plated with real gold.

This is just my guess, I don't know the real "for sure" answer....
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Yeah, I don't know for sure, but I really don't think the plating would be real gold on say a Floyd, or else it'd be plastered all over on the specs what karat it was.

My experience with factory-plated gold parts is that it is the least durable compared to chrome, nickel or black chrome.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

And REAL gold would be even less durable
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
        X