Conductive Shielding Paint versus Copper Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conductive Shielding Paint versus Copper Tape

Which one works best for shielding the control cavity?

I personally like the tape better. the conductive particles in the paint won't always make a full shielding layer.
    The paint seems to be sufficient in most cases, but the shielding tape provides a full solid layer.
    Plus it just looks bad ass when done right!
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Well, considering i've went over the paint using the copper tape with way better results, my vote is for the tape. The thing is, everything needs to be completely encased in the shielding as much as possible to be effective. Sometimes there will be some aluminum foil like stuff on the back of a control plate and then the paint in the cavity, and sometimes it's just the paint and nothing on the control plate. In that case the paint is not nearly as effective i find. At any rate the tape works incredible if done right. Depending on your situation, some people have interference where they live or play or whatnot, and i guess some don't or doesn't bother them. For the most part a majority of noise and shit comes from your guitar - your amp may have some hum or whatever but the really annoying noise and feedback is coming from the guitar or pickups usually. For the very best results, and in my opinion of your going to do it at all, shield your pickups cavities as well as the control cavities, of course you can't completely encase the pickups but it still makes a huge difference if done right.

here's a post i made sometime back doing a shielding job - not shown are the control plates which have the tape on the backs of them as well and all cavities are grounded together.
      http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/999...eck?highlight=

Also Working on my RR1
      Last edited by Trem; 03-15-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X