Tell me about the JH-3 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the JH-3 pickup

Hmm couldn't find a lot of info on the interwebz. :think: I'm working on one of my recent Jackson Strat additions, and was surprised to discover this. I've never heard of it. I assume the 10.8 is ohms? All I could come up with so far is that they were stock equipment in some of those Rhoads Pros.

Yeah, one originally in my 1993 Rhoads Pro, I think. Don't know much about it.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

These are almost NEVER 10.8K ohms. I have no idea what the 10.8 means.

Comment

Yeah it looks to be ohming out at 15.5 at the jack. That's HOT!

Comment

I'm thinking this is not the original pickup. Some of the wiring looks a bit dodgy and needs to be cleaned up. Not a big deal, really. So I wonder if the JH-3 is MIJ? I've just never seen one in a USA Jackson before.

Comment

I am sure the JH-3 is not USA made. It's got a plain white sticker with the model on it. Probably Japan. Typically used together with the JE-1200 active mid boost circuitry. The JH-3 / JE-1200 combination sounds like crap compared to a proper passive pickup without the JE-1200 (to my ears).

Here's a pic of mine. Notice the scribble. It's exactly the same as yours. Written by the same person:

Last edited by jackson1; 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Well that is MIJ pickup obviously (probably by Gotoh Pickups).
              And "10.8" indicates 10.8mm distance each pole-piece so that's 54.0mm (2.125'') from bottom E to top E, quite wider than Seymour Duncan trembuckers.
              Am curious about specifications as well.
              Last edited by yoko5000; 11-16-2013, 09:59 AM.
              '94 Grover Jackson Soloist Standard (EMG60/81)
              '94 Grover Jackson Soloist Custom (J-50BC/50BC + JE-1200 midboost)
              '91 Grover Jackson Dinky AXE HSH (J-50BC/J-100XL/J-80C)
              late 90s Jackson Stars Soloist (Gibson '57 classic/J-80, Khaler trem)
              '87 Charvel Model3B (Jakcson P/Duncan Hot Jazz Stack + JE-2000 preamp)
              '87 Charvel Model2B Fretless (EMG PJ)
              late 90s Charvel EM-3B

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                Yeah it looks to be ohming out at 15.5 at the jack. That's HOT!
                doubtful thats an accurate measurement..Its best to measure the pup without it hooked up to anything.. only way to get an accurate reading on its DC resistance..
                GEAR:
                #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                AMPS:
                1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
                  doubtful thats an accurate measurement..Its best to measure the pup without it hooked up to anything.. only way to get an accurate reading on its DC resistance..
                  Bah, I can just use my mad algebra and interwebz skills. It looks to be right around 16K.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...00%29+%3D+15.5

Comment

Those were made in Japan early 90's I think.
                    I had a 3 humbucker Professional stealth HX and thats what was in the guitar.No active mid boost and it sounded awesome.More a mellow sounding pick up to me.
                    I tested the pick ups unhooked and they read in the low 11's I wouldn't rate them as a distortion class pick up.
                    I had a 91 dinky pro and it had a JH -3 and two J 100's. I like those pick ups.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Those were made in Japan early 90's I think.
                      I had a 3 humbucker Professional stealth HX and thats what was in the guitar.No active mid boost and it sounded awesome.More a mellow sounding pick up to me.
                      I tested the pick ups unhooked and they read in the low 11's I wouldn't rate them as a distortion class pick up.
                      I had a 91 dinky pro and it had a JH -3 and two J 100's. I like those pick ups.
                      That's bizarre. I know that they weren't very consistent, especially where the USA->Japan transition is concerned, but if all the JH-3's were MIJ I wouldn't expect a difference in 4 K ohms. Weird! So, that pup is actually in my pickup box now. I ohmed it out accurately, and it is 15.8 Kohms.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        That's bizarre. I know that they weren't very consistent, especially where the USA->Japan transition is concerned, but if all the JH-3's were MIJ I wouldn't expect a difference in 4 K ohms. Weird! So, that pup is actually in my pickup box now. I ohmed it out accurately, and it is 15.8 Kohms.

if its that hot.. is it noisy or is the tone lacking? I took out a pickup in my guitar that was hotter than what I replaced it with.. guitar has much smoother tone now and is harmonically pleasing.. a bullshit SD designed by 103h POS measured at ~10.5K..just had no balls.. no attitude... replaced by a ~7.5K 35 year old pup..
                        GEAR:
                        #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                        #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                        #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                        #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                        #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                        AMPS:
                        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                        ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

I don't know about the JH-3, but I've got two JH-2 models that came out of the bridge of both '94 Dinky HX guitars I had, and they both say 10.8 on them.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X