Tuning JT6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning JT6

OK, got the Model 3 home last night and tried to get her all tuned up after her long journey home. Only I can't get the friggin JT6 to sit level. I can't even get all the strings in tune at the same time.

I start at the low E and by the time I get to the high E, the low E is in D again. So I crank it up, and the damn bridge is tilted way up. And the other strings are out of tune again.

By the time I get it even close, the bridge is pulled way up in the air. I've tuned Floyd's before, and sometimes have this problem, but the strings always seem to tune on a Floyd, and this JT6 is whipping my ass. :think:

Any suggestions?

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS AND A FLOYD

Take a look at the backside of the guitar. You know under the coverplate you have those springy things? And a claw that has screws? Maybe tighten the claw or add more spings? When you tighten the springs, the guitar goes up in tune. You then need to loosen the strings, and the bridge goes down.

If the bridge is too low when in tune, loosen the claw screws / remove springs. The guitar will go down in tune, and you'll need to tune up. And the bridge rises.
    Last edited by DonP; 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Block the trem level with a block of wood in the trem cav, between the bridge block and the guitar body. Tune up, then tighten the springs until the the pressure just releases off of the wood block. Remove the block of wood and fine tune.
      Models
      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
      I dont need furniture.
      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
        I start at the low E and by the time I get to the high E, the low E is in D again.
        This might help a little bit... start at the low E, then do the high E, then the A, then the B, then the D, then G.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, I saw that vid. Gonna try it tonight. Will also check the springs, etc.

I usually "block" it with a rag stuffed under it, but the problem isn't with the bridge sinking, its with the string tension pulling it way too high. Maybe its missing a spring?

Comment

Sounds like not enough spring tension (not enough springs or claw not screwed in far enough)

Comment

Yup. Had to tighten the springs up a couple of turns, and the jumping back and forth onthe strings really helped too.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out. The previous owner probably had it set up for either a lighter string gauge or a lower tuning.

Comment

Working...
                X