Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have this problem with their fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have this problem with their fretboard?

I have a few of my fret boards that seem to have a light color thats stuck into some of the grain (mostly on older necks). What is it, skin residue or what. I lemon oil all of my necks but i cant clean this out. Is there any thing that can clean this before i oil or certain method to eliminate them. i have even dyed my boards it still stays in some of the grain. :think:
    DK2 EERIE DESS
    KE3 CUSTOM
    KELLY PROFESSIONAL
    KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
    RR3 PRO
    BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
    KRAMER VOYAGER
    LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
    TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

try cleaning the fretboard with Zippo Premium lighter fluid. Then oil it with Fret Doctor bore oil.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Will the zippo fuel harm a maple fretboard?I ask because I am a welder and no matter how many times I wash my hands I can never get them completely clean.There is a little darkening on mine too,so you say zippo fuel works?I want to try it but don't want to hurt the board.Also I have black skull and crossbone inlays,would it harm those at all?I have used zippo fuel for other things,it works wonders for transfering inspection stickers from vehicle to vehicle.Illegal but worse things have happened.
      BLS/SDMF

Comment

Originally posted by BallooTheBear View Post
        I have used zippo fuel for other things,it works wonders for transfering inspection stickers from vehicle to vehicle.Illegal but worse things have happened.
        Models
        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
        I dont need furniture.
        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
        And rock that sucker.

Comment

Naptha (zippo fuel) is frequently recommeded as a cleaner for guitars. Stew-Mac sells it by the can. If (back then) I knew it was just lighter fluid, I could have saved a few bucks LOL!

I thought I replied to this thread but I guess it didn't take.

The white stuff is wax from using bad stuff on the fretboard like Pledge or some other waxy stuff. You need to disolve or melt it to get rid of it. Not easy. Maybe a tooth brush to scrub it out.

After that, stick with the Dr's bore oil as Dreamland_Rebel said. Thin oils won't solidify into the white wax that is being seen.

Comment

I used dunlop fretboard cleaner and a toothbrush on my Model 5's fingerboard to remove the yellowish waxy buildup and i was able to get rid of some of it, but not all. I may have to go after it with a wire brush of some kind.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Just about every hardware store carries naptha for ~2 bucks a quart. A can will last you years.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                The white stuff is wax from using bad stuff on the fretboard like Pledge or some other waxy stuff. You need to disolve or melt it to get rid of it. Not easy. Maybe a tooth brush to scrub it out.
                Yep. I got that crap in the pores of the rosewood board of my Dinky HX years ago from using Pledge or Endust on it. It took awhile to come out, but a toothbrush and lemon oil helped. I would also use a guitar pick and scrape some of it out from time to time.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks guys, i'll give those a try.
                  DK2 EERIE DESS
                  KE3 CUSTOM
                  KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                  KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                  RR3 PRO
                  BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                  KRAMER VOYAGER
                  LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                  TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if you hit it quickly with a propane torch? Just very quickly to melt the wax?

Comment

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if you hit it quickly with a propane torch? Just very quickly to melt the wax?
                      Try a blow dryer, also WD40 has been known to remove candle wax, also there is also a trick for removing wax from carpet of putting a brown paper bag over the wax and heating it up
                      ( as with a blow dryer or iron ) and the wax will transfer to the paper. However you probably only have trace amounts in the grain of the neck so it may not grab to the paper.

you don't want to get it too hot as you risk loosening your inlays/frets.
                      Last edited by Trem; 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I have a used model 4 neck that had a lot of white residue junk in the open pores of the rosewood board. After trying a bunch of stuff without results, I used a pin and dredged out the residue, being careful not to pull out out wood. It was tedious, but the worst part was the 1st 5 frets and it didn't take too long. I did it a few minutes a day for several days.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

is that before or after you pour lighter fluid over it?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

naptha and a soft-to-medium wire brush. Or a hard-bristle tooth brush - but it'll take longer. warm room and a hair dryer helps a bit.
                            then follow with a conditioner and buff it or hand rub [hehe] it up.
                            And patience!
                            Last edited by GuerillaPete; 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X