Strings too tight??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings too tight??

hey all, im looking for some answers on a nuisance moreso than a problem. my dxmgt has a really tight feel to it, like i go to a store and try a dkmgt and it feels like water compared to my guitar. so the question is whats the culprit behind this? my neck had to be repaired and now my nut sits on a few pieces of brass but idk if that has anything to do with it. :bang:

for the record i use 10-52 string gauge on standard

New jacksons come with 9-42. Use lighter strings
    This space for rent

Comment

well i used 10's before but it still felt overly tight, i cant be going crazy because i had an ibby before which i strung up with the same strings and it felt much easier on the hands

Comment

The store model's going to have a standard gauge like a 9-42 or a 10-46 max, both thinner than your 10-52 which I think would most contributable to a stiffer feel. If the guitar felt different after the nut repair it could be something else though. The type of string also plays a role. For example, steel wound strings, like blue steels will have a tighter tension than nickel wound.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

hmmm well i usually run nickel wound, and i do get that my 3 low strings add tension. i watch when guys like mustaine(who uses the same gauge) do bends or play it seems much sleeker, unless im just being paranoid

Comment

If you have some time, check out this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/115...on-LONG-THREAD

Anyway, if you are looking at the exact same guitar, the variables are greatly reduced. It pretty much has to be a difference in tuning, string mass and/or action height.

Comment

hmmm great read, i guess i'll just have to drop my string gauge =/

EDIT: however, would dropping to 10-46 ease up on the overall feel? i would assume not cause each string's size is different and its tuned feel varies
              Last edited by racnis; 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

10-46 would make a big difference
                This space for rent

Comment

I know what you mean. I just never got this.. especially on a fixed bridge guitar. If pitch is determined by tension, shouldn't you have the same tension when bending on a fixed bridge if you are using the same brand and gauge?

On a floater,.. you have springs that may be a bit spongier that will give a bit while you bend. If your springs are stiffer, then you have to work a bit harder.

Comment

Originally posted by racnis View Post
                    hmmm well i usually run nickel wound, and i do get that my 3 low strings add tension. i watch when guys like mustaine(who uses the same gauge) do bends or play it seems much sleeker, unless im just being paranoid
                    Dave Mustaine also has more muscles in his hands than you have in your whole body...
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

Awesome article, Chad!!! It answered many questions that I had, thanks!!!
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

The store guitar might be tuned to Eb or lower so that will make the strings have a looser feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                          Dave Mustaine also has more muscles in his hands than you have in your whole body...
                          VERY TRUE! lmao i guess back to standard guage it is then, thanks for the help everyone, i love this forum!

Comment

I like Custom Lights from Blue Steel... .009-.046 lite up top and somewhat heavy on the bottom, they sound amazing... I put on a set about 8 years ago and have never even thought about buying a different kind of string...
                            sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

Try the GHS Boomers David Gilmour (red) set... 10.5, 13, 17, 30, 40, 50. They're great!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X