G B and E strings won't lock :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G B and E strings won't lock :(

Just changed my strings on my Model 6 from regular to Ernie Ball lights (.09-.46's) and after doingm action, tension and intonation and finally finishing and locking it i find that those strings won't lock even with the locks fully tightened.

I'm thinking it MAY be because i have the strings going anti-clockwise this time cause of the way i was positioned when re-stringing.

Help please
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

If you went to a lighter set check that there are not grooves in the lock down pads from the thicker strings and them being old, and make sure you have it on the right way not cross ways.
    I'm not sure what your describing as being anti clockwise, but yeah our string should be anti clockwise around the post, in other words wrapped under the post not over the top.

Comment

Yeah they were under last time but now they r over the top :P

Reckon thays why they wont lock?
      USA Jackson RR1
      Charvel Model 6
      Jackson Performer-2
      Orange Dark Terror
      EVH 5150 LBX
      Hello Senòr

Comment

that shouldn't really keep them from locking, however anythings possible and the correct way would be to have them wound the other way. Since they now don't lock, put em on right and see.

usually more likely the lock pads may be old or have grooves in them from the thicker strings before, check them, and possibly make sure you stuck the same lock pads where they were before, and that they are not on sideways. If their old then they may be grooved, especially if they have been cranked down hard for years which you should not do, or need to do, just turn till kinda tight and one little extra for good measure but not crush the string till it's flat tight. Even not very tight at all will still kinda lock the string till you bend too hard or use the bar hard especially on an angled headstock.

Comment

I this case I would suggest to rotate the pad in question 180 degrees or even swap the pads around. Just to see if that changes the situation. If might work. If you can pinpoint the pads as the problem, I'd suggest ordering some new ones from www.fretsonthenet.com. Better in the long run.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

So to move the pads around regarding how the Model 6 has them locked in that frame, do i need to make the strings slack then unscrew the frame to play "switcharoo"?

On a side note REALLY digging these new strings and their gauge!
            USA Jackson RR1
            Charvel Model 6
            Jackson Performer-2
            Orange Dark Terror
            EVH 5150 LBX
            Hello Senòr

Comment

?

i think your reading too much into it, all were saying is make sure your lock pads are like this right..

the ridge follows the strings? The actual only part on them that touches or locks the strings are the edges of each pad, and that's where you would clearly see on the opposite side of the pad (underneath it take it off turn it upside down see the marks from the strings or scratches or a groove from the strings) you can even usually tell which group of strings it has been locking down over the years due to the thickness of the scratches. Notice the pads are actually concave.
              If you (for example) have put them across the strings, it is not correct and may not be doing it's job. That's all were saying.
              You surly know this already? But i guess just in case, cause sounds like your confused.

Comment

Model series guitars don't have a floyd style locknut. It's a standard nut with a string lock behind it. The pads in the lock make contact all the way across, and they are very prone to getting grooves.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  Model series guitars don't have a floyd style locknut. It's a standard nut with a string lock behind it. The pads in the lock make contact all the way across, and they are very prone to getting grooves.
                  Ahh, then it is i who was confused.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieTerry84 View Post
                    So to move the pads around regarding how the Model 6 has them locked in that frame, do i need to make the strings slack then unscrew the frame to play "switcharoo"?
                    Yes. They can be rotated when the whole frame is off. They are rectangular and fits the frame tightly. Then you can unscrew the three locking nut bolts completely and turn the plate(s). Mind you, I don't remember personally doing this on the "JT-6" locking nut, but I'm almost certain that it can be done.

And here's another thing I don't remember either: maybe you can actually turn them over and use the "fresh" side of the pads.
                    Henrik

Comment

Thanks for your help guys .

I made the strings slack, unlocked em from the bridge, unscrewed the frame n slid it down then did a 180 on the pads n now they lock yayyy
                      USA Jackson RR1
                      Charvel Model 6
                      Jackson Performer-2
                      Orange Dark Terror
                      EVH 5150 LBX
                      Hello Senòr

Comment

Good job, Aussie
                        Henrik

Comment

The Kahler string locks behind the nut are crap. They usually get grooves on the top underside, not on the pads. My friend had a Model 3A
                          back in '86 and he went thru 3 of those string locks in 4 years.
                          I'm in the process of removing the plastic nut and string lock on my Jackson and replacing it with just a Floyd nut, never had any problems
                          with a Floyd unit. The original Jackson "behind the nut string lock" is a bad design. The b string angles against the screw that
                          locks the pad, and I replaced it 3 times b/c it eventually wears in the threads of the screw. I fixed mine by putting a small string
                          tree right in front of the Jackson logo to keep the string straight when it comes out of the string lock. That worked great but now
                          the Kahler replacement string lock, has grooved into the top of the underside and it won't clamp tightly. As soon as I bend the b string,
                          it's out of tune b/c it's not clamped tight enough. Definitely softer metal IMHO. It happened on my Model 88 as well, that's why it has a
                          chrome Jackson string lock instead of a black one, b/c I had to replace it years ago. Anyway,that's my experience.
                          It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel....

Comment

Working...
                          X