Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threaded bridge/trem posts and movement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded bridge/trem posts and movement...

Awhile back I noticed that when I pull a bridge or tremolo on a guitar, the threaded bridge/trem posts almost always have some degree of movement in their studs. It seems that this movement could potentially create minute tuning issues. After making this observation, in the interest of trying to secure all points of movement, I've started wrapping the threads with plumbers tape anytime I'm working on a guitar. This makes the posts rock solid. I just got a Pro Mod and I was surprised at how much movement the posts have within the studs. The guitar has now been "plumber taped".

Does anybody else do this? Is the movement enough to matter once the trem is all setup and under string tension? Any other thoughts?

I wrap them when I notice they're really loose, which seems to be more common on licensed trem posts with coarser threads, like the JT-6 has. My guess is that the ones with play in them don't really move much at all once the bridge is under string tension, though.

Comment

+1 to wrapping threads.

I have done this to both of my Floyd Rose type bridges.
      I use the Teflon thread seal tape ("plumber's tape" is usually used to refer to the metal straps with holes that plumbers use to secure pipes.)
      (Sorry, nerd moment...lol)

Definitely makes a difference. Any slight bit of play can cause tuning instability. Good call.
      Last edited by DalyTek; 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Once the posts are under tension, hard metal on hard metal should be fine.

Teflon tape is soft... I've never done it, and I'm not sure it's a good idea, but if it works for you... :dunno:

I would just replace the bushing if it's that loose.

Comment

Even though I've wrapped a few JT-6 posts, I think you're right. 99.9% of people don't do it, and there's no epidemic of tuning problems. Even when there's slop in the threads, the string tension is always keeping the posts pressed against the string side of the bushing.

Comment

I had to use teflon-tape on my Kelly PS6T as well.It works like a charm.
            BLS/SDMF

Comment

I've used Teflon tape for trem bridge posts for a few years now. Increased sustain of high pitched harmonics is the most noticeable improvement. When it comes to string vibration these harmonics have the least amount of energy and this energy is quickly lost to trem posts that are vibrating in their ferrules. I use a piece of tape about eight inches long and wrap it starting at the bottom using more wraps as it goes up the post. It ends up having a "V" shape when it's done. It takes some effort to turn the post down with so much tape, but this mod really helps with open and artificial harmonics. Anytime you remove the posts the tape has to be replaced. A loose bolt-on neck--or any other loose part that can rob the strings of energy--can cause the same problem. BTW I do this with new posts, too.

Comment

+1 Teflon tape.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  Once the posts are under tension, hard metal on hard metal should be fine.
                  That's what I thought too, but there is still concern when heavily using/diving a trem. For a split second, when dived, tension is reduced a decent amount and that's when the movement could cause a tuning issue.

Teflon tape is soft... I've never done it, and I'm not sure it's a good idea, but if it works for you... :dunno:
                  Yes, soft, but seems to hold rather well. I originally started using teflon tape on a Jazzmaster to keep the posts from moving and causing the bridge to drop down on its own (an age old trick for JMs and Jags). It worked well for that and has with other bridge/trems as well. As has been mentioned, if you completely remove a post, then it is best to remove the old tape and put on new tape, but no biggie.

I would just replace the bushing if it's that loose.
                  This has been an issue on nearly every guitar I've ever checked. Worse on some than others, but yeah, pretty that way on every guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                    That's what I thought too, but there is still concern when heavily using/diving a trem. For a split second, when dived, tension is reduced a decent amount and that's when the movement could cause a tuning issue.
                    The STRING tension is released, however you are applying additional force to overcome the tremolo springs and using the studs as the pivot point. It's a lever, the pivot point is always under tension.

I mean that if the bushing were sufficiently loose to allow the tremolo post to move forward considerably under tension, I would replace that bushing, not if there were any play whatsoever, because as you say, there is always some play.

As far as putting something soft at the point where vibration is transferred to the body, it seems like that should dampen vibrations, not increase them. It might have some beneficial effect on the tone, but it doesn't really make sense to me why it would. :dunno:
                    Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 03-02-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X