Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Mod truss rod adjustment

Hi guys,

I got myself a Pro Mod last week and need to adjust the truss rod.

I am guessing that because it's at the base of the neck it's the opposite of "righty tighty, lefty loosey"?

Thanks

Vic

Nope. Still righty tighty.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Really? Thanks Sully. I'll keep trying. I figured I'd stop turning this thing and ask. I was tweaking my Bullseye the other day and had it totally wrong and then it went totally right, but much easier to tweak that one.

Comment

no matter which end of the neck you're looking at, the action of the truss rod turns the same way. It's not like they're installing left-handed truss rods in guitars that have the adjustment at the base of the neck
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Gary, they put the adjustment at the heel of the neck, anything could be the go once you do that!!! Things are already backwards!!!

Comment

Actually no
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

but it's still like turning a screw. Whether your tightening the sump plug under your car or attaching the antenna on the roof of your house, a screw still turn the same way. Of course, there are applications that use left-handed threads, but we're talking truss rods. And I'm sure Charvel are banging basically the same truss rods into necks, whether they adjust at the heel or the headstock
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok, I get it now, I was trying to be funny....

Straycat, I'm not sure what you're saying No to. What Sully said, what I said?.....

Comment

Wait, doesn't the water go down the drain counter-clockwise in Australia?

Could that possibly affect the truss rod? :think:

Comment

quick! flush the toilet and turn the truss rod!

Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Gee, I can't believe how many turns this thing needed to get a straight neck happening. This is why I was doubting if I was turning it the right way initially as nothing seemed to be helping.

I am very close now and she looks like she'll be a hot player in the Charvel tradition.

Comment

I am just getting some fretwork down around the 17-22 mark as that section was a bit raised and had a couple of uneven sections where it was fretting out. Should be sorted and all good soon.

Still loving this guitar. I should hate it because it makes me want MORE!!!!

Comment

Got the guitar back and it's playing fantastic. Board is so straight, it's lovely.

I was thinking maybe the board couldn't go really flat but I checked my Bullseye Charvel which I tweaked a few weeks ago and yep, she was super flat and playing tops. Now this one is too. They both play as good as they look!

I had the pickup changed in my Model 88 this afternoon too and that has the same super flat, super good action as well. I am finally going to order a new pickup ring to suit the over sized covers this came with. I have them on my 750XL and they are sweet. Finally finish that guitar off.

Comment

What did you use as a level and what tool did you use to adjust it?

Socket or wrench?
                            sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

To get the board flat? I was checking playability each time I turned it along with holding the string down at each end, which gives you a straight line to check how much relief is in it.

The higher frets were worse than I realised when I took it to my guitar guy. I left after he had worked on two other guitars and had started the filing and he was showing me with his rule the different heights and this was showing up in the filing with the highest frets being affected in the initial strokes.

To adjust Charvel/Fender strat heads which are made like the old ones the only tool you need is a large phillips head screw driver. Very different to the scarf jointed necks in your sig (sweet guitars btw). I do have tools for my guitars to do the truss rod, either got them from my guitar guy or they came with them like the Bullseye Charvel did. What kind you need depends on the guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X