Model 1A pickup suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1A pickup suggestions.

I need to get a new bridge humbucker for my Model 1A Mutt because the dimarzo PAF pro that is in it now isnt working properly and sounds crap.

I want to get an 80's rock/metal tone, like Ratt, Van halen etc... and have been looking at a few GFS pickups because they are in my price range.

Which would be better: Fat PAT, Crunchy PAT, VEH, Vintage 59 or the Power rails?

The body of the guitar is Alder.

I already have the other necessary ingredients for the tone i want, an 45 watt all valve stack with EL34s, Boss SD-1, Boss Chorus, MXR Phase 90 and Digital Delay...

The body of the guitar is basswood.

I had multiple pickups in my 1A. I would recommend pickups that have lots of kids and lows for a balanced sound out of it. Try a Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Tone Zone.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Its an alder strat body, dimarzios are too expensive for me ($80-$100) even used..whereas GFS are only $40.

Comment

If its an alder strat body, then its not a Charvel Model 1A.
        Blank yo!

Comment

It is the best way to describe it since everything else is from a mode 1A besides the body.

Comment

I would have called it a strat with a Model series neck, but I digress... I can't help you with your cheapo pickups. I would suggest you comb the classified here or at the Seymour Duncan forum - you can easily find used Dimarzio and Duncan pickups for $40 shipped.
            Blank yo!

Comment

I should note that im in australia.

Comment

I've shipped pickups and pedals Down Under and its only been about $15-$20 USD total for shipping.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by dimefan90 View Post
                  I need to get a new bridge humbucker for my Model 1A Mutt because the dimarzo PAF pro that is in it now isnt working properly and sounds crap.

I want to get an 80's rock/metal tone, like Ratt, Van halen etc... and have been looking at a few GFS pickups because they are in my price range.

Which would be better: Fat PAT, Crunchy PAT, VEH, Vintage 59 or the Power rails?

The body of the guitar is Alder.

I already have the other necessary ingredients for the tone i want, an 45 watt all valve stack with EL34s, Boss SD-1, Boss Chorus, MXR Phase 90 and Digital Delay...
                  For Ratt you want a JB.

For Van Halen, most say you want an Alnico II loaded pickups, but my J50BC sounds awesome in my alder body USA Jackson.

Comment

the JB with an A2 mag will nail both.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

An SD Custom 5 does the job too.

Comment

Its an alder strat body, dimarzios are too expensive for me ($80-$100) even used..whereas GFS are only $40.
                        I should note that im in australia.
                        where are you finding $80 Dimarzios in Oz? I could use some...
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          where are you finding $80 Dimarzios in Oz? I could use some...
                          On eBay, from the US. they are $160+ in Australia, (and Gerry Harvey wonders why we dont shop in stores)

Comment

oh okay. I've bought plenty of pickups from OS. If you're looking to pay $40 (plus shipping) for GFSs from the States, you might as well buy some secondhand Duncans or Dimarzios here on the JCF for $50-55 instead.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

$40 includes shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X