In need of some help on wiring!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of some help on wiring!!

Greetings, I need to know where this green wire goes.

The little green wire came loose and i cant figure out where to solder it on. Please help!

The layout:

2 questions: Is it a Duncan, and where is the black wire from that pickup soldered? If it's a Duncan, standard wiring would have that green wire soldered to the back of the pot. I'm asking about the black to make sure they haven't reversed things and wired it to ground. It should be your hot wire to the switch.

Comment

What brand of pick up is it? Red and white look like they are together and taped off thats good.Where is the black lead soldered?
      Green can either be hot or ground as the black depending if you wire it out of phase.
      Correct place for the hot wire is to the switch and ground should be on the back of the vol pot.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Its a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker Pickup. And its soldered to the tone knob i believe(its soldered on the top of pot along with the ends of the other 2 single rails) Hope that helps i am a noob on describing wiring diagrams . Here is a better pic. All i need to know is where the green wire goes.
        thanks!
        Last edited by Iceberg794; 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Move the green wire gently to where ever it feels like it should or was at naturally... then look for the solder mark to see where it was...
          sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
            Move the green wire gently to where ever it feels like it should or was at naturally... then look for the solder mark to see where it was...
            something leads me to believe it was soldered by where the red little chip thing is.. but im not entirely sure
            i need confirmations

Comment

Do you know how to solder?
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

I have a soldering kit and solder wire.. but ive never used it. I have scrap electronics that i was planning on using to practice soldering wires.

Comment

It's all about keeping you tip clean...

sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Since all other wires apper to be accounted for (blacke, bare, etc), the green wire should go to the switch. To find out where it goes on the switch, put the switch in the Bridge position and touch the green wire to an empty switch contact until you hear sound.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. It turns out the green wire is suppose to go to one of the pickup switch selector slots. Special thanks to Nimitz for the tips and soldering you tube videos!

Comment

OK.. I may be wrong (not looking at mine now) but a JB should have the bare and green grounded and the black should go to the switch. Looks like the black and bare are soldered to ground here.

Comment

Here you go... If those single coils are "Fender Pickups" then according to this diagram the black and green SHOULD be reversed. Never heard that before, wish I could understand how the brand of the other pups could change the way it should be wired.. but that what it says! LOL
                          http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...vol_1tone_5way

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
                            Never heard that before, wish I could understand how the brand of the other pups could change the way it should be wired..
                            Different pickups wire up their polarity differently to bring out the best sound from the pickups. If you have the polarity one way with one pickup and another way with another pickup on the same guitar, they will be out of phase with each other and will cancel each other out when the pickups are combined, resulting in loss of output and tone.
                            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                            X