Help me choose a good HH combination for thrash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a good HH combination for thrash

I've been looking into the DiMarzio X2N and the Bill Lawrence XL 500 for the bridge but nothing for the neck.

Anyway, what would you guys go for? My King V has the JB+Jazz combination so I won't be getting those in my soon to be guitar.

Thanks

81/85 EMG

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

X2N and PAF pro.
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I have been trying to decide the same thing, only I have the EMG 81/85 in my other guitar and want something different for my Kelly.
        Doesn't the type of wood and construction have something to do with what pickups will sound best in a guitar?
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Blackouts!

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            I have been trying to decide the same thing, only I have the EMG 81/85 in my other guitar and want something different for my Kelly.
            Doesn't the type of wood and construction have something to do with what pickups will sound best in a guitar?
            More with passives than actives. EMG's and BO's really doesn't make much of a difference from what I've seen. But with passives, a really bright guitar (Maple, poplar, etc.) with a really bright pickup can get pretty ice picky. And vice versa with darker sounding wood and pups (mahogany, etc..). The happy medium is what all us morons on our tone quest are looking for..
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
              81/85 EMG

But the 85 needs to be in the bridge and the 81 (or a 60) in the neck!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                I've been looking into the DiMarzio X2N and the Bill Lawrence XL 500 for the bridge but nothing for the neck.
                If you're gonna go with the X2N, I'd pair it up with either a Super Distortion or a Super 2.

Comment

What about the Dave Mustaine signature Livewires from Seymour Duncan? Anyone tried those? Curious how they sound compared to the EMG 81/85 set.
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I've got them in my Mustaine sig Dean V. They're a JB/Jazz set, just active. They have a tiny bit more output, and the JB has a tiny bit more low end.

Comment

Maybe also look at using a Duncan distortion at the bridge, and the L500XL in the neck

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        But the 85 needs to be in the bridge and the 81 (or a 60) in the neck!
                        Why is that? :think:
                        sigpic
                        Action Jackson

Comment

I think the 81 can be a little too brittle and bright sounding in certain guitars. The 85 works better in the bridge for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                            Why is that? :think:

well technically the 85 has a bit more output than the 81

Comment

Bareknuckle Ceramic Nailbomb or Regular Nailbomb in the bridge and a Cold Sweat or VHII in the neck. You'll thank me when you put them in.

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X