Wiring problem in RR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring problem in RR3

I have a strange problem with my Jackson RR3. When I purchased it, the wiring was horrible and I had to redo it. The majority of time,everything sounds great, but intermittently I am having an issue where the bridge pickup has almost no power/distortion. There are no problems at all with the neck pickup. I rewired the volume pots and 3-way switch again, but even with what I know are clean solders, it is happening. The weird part is that when I put my finger onto where the purple wire connects to the bridge volume knob or the 3-way switch, it sounds great. I am a novice, so I'm not sure what would cause this as I know the connections are 100% secure. So what would make it sound correct when I touch the connection or even grab/move the wire between the 3-way switch and volume knob?
    Last edited by RampantLion; 02-13-2011, 11:51 AM.

I am not sure what the issue is, but I would next go ahead and replace the pots and yet another rewire. That's just me though, doesn't mean everyone, or even anyone would do that.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

What about the 3-way switch? As far as knobs for the RR3, would I need a standard knob such as: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...Pot?sku=364666

Comment

Yes, I would probably get a new one of those as well, since you are going to be in there. All the parts are inexpensive, so there is no reason not to. I have a KVX10 that had a wiring issue that I couldn't seem to find, so I ripped out all the wires and replaced the pots, jack and switch and the problem disappeared.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Just don't forget, imports and USA's have different size holes for the pots. I'm pretty sure I've read that imports have Alpha and USA's have CTS from the factories.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I'd just switch one component at a time, unless you just want all new electronics.

Comment

I had the same issue with my old RR3. In my situation, it was a faulty 3-way switch. I replaced it and everything was awesome after that!
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
              X