Thanks Axewielder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Axewielder

Bought his 86 Model 4 from him. Really tidy guitar, fast shipping, good coms. Excellent service. Big thumbs up here

No prob, glad it worked out. How are you liking the tone on that guitar? Seems like every guitar ever sold ever had quote unquote "great tone", but...that Charvie really has great tone IMHO.

Comment

The tone is nice. It is the first single coil guitar I have had in quite some time so I am getting used to how the neck and middle pickups sound, the JE-1200 is nice and aggressive as expected. My other JE-1200 equipped guitars have J80C's so I am used to a more aggressive tone but this has a nice balance between warmth and cut. Makes for an excellent 80's thrash sound. I was thinking of dropping this to B (std) for death metal duty but with the sound I think it is more suited to Eb for Thrash use and I'll reconfigure the Soloist for Death duty.

The kahler is riding too high IMO, it needs to be spaced out and the saddles lowered (that should reduce the hysterisis when using the bar and string bends). I presume it was you who spaced the neck and angled it back by 1.5 deg? I like that setup. I generally like the strings nearer the neck at the 12th fret than this, I haven't measured anything but looking at the cut of the nut I doubt I'll be able to level the neck anymore (by truss adjustment) without buzzing near the 1st few frets, I would have to raise (replace) the nut first.

On the whole an excellent guitar, nice paint, lovely smooth sound, fully functional Kahler (a new first for me ;-), nice to have an old tweed case as well.

Comment

Yeah I prefer medium action instead of super-low, if that is what you mean. The Kahler is a pain-in-the-ass...err, I mean...highly flexible......in that you have to adjust each saddle individually to adjust the overall action. If you are inconsistent, you will throw off the radius of your string heights. The neck angle was the same as when I got it. With the Kahler, the neck angle really isn't as important as a fulcrum trem as far as pullup height goes. A lot of guys mistakenly think that the neck angle affects the final setup on the guitar, and it just isn't so.

Comment

Working...
        X