Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String gauge vs vibration?

I have a quick question.
    I'm not sure how to word it correctly so that it's understandable though.

When you strum or pluck a string, it vibrates in kind of an arc, where there is more movement in the center of the length of the string than there is towards the ends.

What effect does string thickness have on this amount of travel? Will thicker strings vibrate more or less than thinner strings?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Thickness of strings can compensate for a shorter length. The pitch is determined by how fast it vibrates back and forth, so thicker strings vibrate slower.

Look up a physics textbook on waves for more information.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      Thickness of strings can compensate for a shorter length. The pitch is determined by how fast it vibrates back and forth, so thicker strings vibrate slower.

Look up a physics textbook on waves for more information.
      Nice, but I don't think that answers the OP's question.

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
      What effect does string thickness have on this amount of travel? Will thicker strings vibrate more or less than thinner strings?
      Good question. On one hand, you have more mass so you'd think yes. But on the other hand, the string must be wound tighter to get to the same pitch as a thinner string. Looking at extremes, a .008 string is never going to swing as much as a bass string even if both at tuned to the same pitch. So mass is the overriding factor.

I would say yes, a larger mass string swings in a larger arc and needs more relief in the neck than a thinner string (guessing that you are asking this because of a relief setup question).

Ergo, someone who uses smaller mass strings can have lower action and a straighter neck than someone with larger mass strings.

Comment

I believe that the opposite is true. A more massive string vibrates less when tuned to the same pitch.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          I believe that the opposite is true. A more massive string vibrates less when tuned to the same pitch.
          The area it vibrates in is smaller, but it vibrates faster.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            The area it vibrates in is smaller, but it vibrates faster.
            Yes. That's what I meant. The vibration arc is smaller. This is why - all things being equal - heavier strings should buzz less.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Yes. That's what I meant. The vibration arc is smaller. This is why - all things being equal - heavier strings should buzz less.
              Correct. Larger cores will also help. Look at the description of the GHS Low Tunes Boomers. These are usually recommended for Eb or D tuning. I use them on my RR1T with great results.

Boomers® LOW TUNES GUITAR SET
              Larger than usual cores to control vibration

Product ID1st-E2nd-B3rd-G4th-D5th-A6th-EPurchase OnlineGB-LOW.011.015.019.033.043.053 BUY ONLINE
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X