Scale length? Please explain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale length? Please explain!

OK, here's something I've been wondering about for a long time, scale length. I see guitars that are 25 3/4, 25 1/2, 25 3/8, 24 3/4, etc... What does it mean and how do you measure it? I know that 24 fret guitars have a smaller gap between the pickups because the neck is 2 frets longer but that's about it. I've also noticed that my single hum guitars don't seem to have as much space between the bridge and neck as a dual humbucker guitar does. Is there a difference in those as well? I've heard some of you guys mention "short scale" guitars. I always thought you meant 21 or 22 fret guitars and that 24 fret guitars were a longer scale. Am I off base on this as well? Can a 22 and a 24 fret guitar be the same scale?

Scale length is the overall length between the saddles and the nut. So a 24 3/4" scale is 24 3/4" from nut to saddle and a 25.5" scale is 25.5" from nut to saddle. Within that distance, the placement of the frets is then calculated to sound the appropriate note at the relative length of the string from the fret to the saddle. This means that overall the frets end up being closer together the shorter the overall scale length is.

Number of frets has nothing to do with the actual placement of the frets - I.e. The frets are in the same place on all like scale guitars. More frets are simply placed appropriately along the scale length. This ends up as more frets closer to the saddles - thus resulting in pushing the pickups closer to the bridge too make room for a longer fretboard.

Besides fret placement, scale length also affects the tension that is required achieve the same note on the string. This is why shorter scale lengths are said to be "slinkier.". Less tension is required to achieve the same note.

Hope that helps.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

+1 What he said.

But isn't the scale length the measurement from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret wire, and the saddles are located at double that measurement?

Maybe I always had it understood wrong too....
      Last edited by DalyTek; 02-05-2011, 01:05 AM.
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
        +1 What he said.
        But isn't the scale length the measurement from the nut to the center of the 12th fret wire?
        No, I think you're confusing it with taking the measurement from the nut to the 12th fret and doubling it to get the scale length.

Comment

Hehe...oops, yes I had it backwards, didn't I?
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

It's the length of the string. Aside from that, I feel that 25.5" scale guitars sound better. Much better. Perhaps that's because they're usually, or at least used to be, bolt on types. There may well be great sounding short scale guitars, but I detest the feel of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Scale length is the overall length between the saddles and the nut. So a 24 3/4" scale is 24 3/4" from nut to saddle and a 25.5" scale is 25.5" from nut to saddle. Within that distance, the placement of the frets is then calculated to sound the appropriate note at the relative length of the string from the fret to the saddle. This means that overall the frets end up being closer together the shorter the overall scale length is.

Number of frets has nothing to do with the actual placement of the frets - I.e. The frets are in the same place on all like scale guitars. More frets are simply placed appropriately along the scale length. This ends up as more frets closer to the saddles - thus resulting in pushing the pickups closer to the bridge too make room for a longer fretboard.

Besides fret placement, scale length also affects the tension that is required achieve the same note on the string. This is why shorter scale lengths are said to be "slinkier.". Less tension is required to achieve the same note.

Hope that helps.
              THANKS Grandturk! That helps a bunch! Now I'm going to have to measure all my guitars and see what they are. I know that there's certain ones I prefer playing over others because of their feel and scale length is probably the reason why.

Comment

Simplest explanation: it's the vibrating length of the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                  +1 What he said.

But isn't the scale length the measurement from the edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret wire, and the saddles are located at double that measurement?

Maybe I always had it understood wrong too....
                  No, you're right, and that's why your 6 foot long guitar is so difficult to play...!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
                    No, you're right, and that's why your 6 foot long guitar is so difficult to play...!
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                    X