Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on getting your guitar painted at an automotive body shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on getting your guitar painted at an automotive body shop?

So a friend of mine owns an automotive body shop here and has agreed to paint one of my Charvel Model Series guitars.

Question is does the automotive paint he uses on a daily basis work well with guitars too?

What kind of prep work will he need to do assuming that I hand him a body that has been stripped of all electronics and hardware naturally. Does he (or I for that matter) need to remove all the paint and start with a clean wood body?

Can he use the same clearcoat that is applied to cars?

Any info or suggestions would be well appreciated. I want to make this restoration look as good as factory and will even paint the headstock to match as well. Any idea on where to score a decal BTW?

Thanks!

someone posted a website a while back here that makes just about any headstock logo out there. you can even get it as a template to spray during painting it then clear over it.

I have 3 guitars painted with auto paint, and they are all great. 2 of them were done 15 years ago, and they look new and have held up awesome. the auto finishes are tough. I have found you dont need to strip the paint off, just sand it lightly with some scotch brite to scuff it so the new paint holds. your buddy might have some tips too.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

when I had my bengal painted, they said to just take it apart and bring it to 'em. I asked about prep, they said to leave it alone. Turned out great.
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

It's the same paint and clear coat.
        I'd caution them to wetsand with something other than water, as that will most likely get in the holes, swell the wood, and split the finish out. They can use prep-sol or Naptha, or whatever degreaser they use before they spray.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          It's the same paint and clear coat.
          I'd caution them to wetsand with something other than water, as that will most likely get in the holes, swell the wood, and split the finish out. They can use prep-sol or Naptha, or whatever degreaser they use before they spray.
          This is good advice. I have a friend who had a mutual friend who is an auto body/paint guy do a guitar and he wetsanded the crap out of it like he would a car... Got a nice crack in it, too.

Comment

Working...
          X