Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22 fret Charvel necks on Fender/Warmoth bodies? Would it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 fret Charvel necks on Fender/Warmoth bodies? Would it work?

Hello. Just wondering, does anyone know if a 22 fret Charvel neck (specifically Charvel 475) would be compatible with a Warmoth body? I've been disapointed by Warmoth necks, so I've been considering building a guitar using a Charvel neck.
    Thanks.

charvel necks are a little bigger at the heel. You'll have to make the neck pocket bigger.

Comment

I'm curious what are you disappointed about with the Warmoth neck?

It takes some work to get the neck pocket big enough, and the neck heel itself will have a little bit of "overhang" on either side of the body but it can/will fit. There's a good chance you'll screw it up, too, depending on how picky you are and how many times you've fitted a neck to a neck pocket. Be sure to take even amounts off both sides, for example.

If you want a body for a Charvel neck get a Musikraft.

Comment

I just bought a warmoth neck and am very happy with it. And it was th cheapest they sell.:think:

Comment

Yeah, I won't say they never send out a bad one but overall I've been pretty happy with them... :dunno:

Comment

I'm no luthier, but I do my own setups, wiring and repairs. When I built my Warmoth guitar, I spent a good amount of time doing bridge height and truss rod adjustments, but the neck buzzes like a mother f*cker. The rosewood fretboard was also very rough. I used a Carvin neck for my next project and it played really well.

Comment

I've never bought their rosewood but if it's Indian Rosewood then I know what you mean, it's pretty iffy and usually looks really porous to me, and I don't care for it.

The frets aren't leveled out of the box. They are just glued in and beveled. The definitely need the ends dressed and usually they will need leveled and crowned before they will play with nice low action like a Charvel or Jackson.

I'm just a DIY guy but I dress the fret ends and do a level (usually doesn't take much) plus add a little fallaway to the upper frets, and then crown them, polish them up really nice, and they set up really well for me. :dunno:

If that is not something someone wants to attack then a pro can do that for I dunno, $100? Lots of guys say they are "good to go" out of the box but those guys aren't very picky I guess.
              Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X