Flush Mount OFR Versus Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush Mount OFR Versus Paint

I have a "like new" guitar that has a non-recessed OFR. I was thinking about mounting the trem so that it is touching the body. Should I expect damage to the paint at some point? Anyone have any tips or tricks for this sort of thing?

TIA

You can always set it to about 1mm above the body and then block it so you can't pull back and hit the body. (basically dive only)

I also don't think it's possible for you to get the posts low enough for the trem to sit ON the body without recessing the bushings in to the body.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
      I was thinking about mounting the trem so that it is touching the body. Should I expect damage to the paint at some point?
      TIA
      Yeah, as soon as the trem hits the body expect the trem to win! For an OFR, I'd expect somewhere close to the hole on top on the fine tuner side. If the trem isn't parallel to the body, the trem's fine tuners will hit the back when you pull up.
      To stop it, maybe use a wood block on the back just large enough so the trem doesn't hit the body.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Been there, done that. Just don't go too crazy with violent pull-ups on the whammy bar, and you should be OK.

Comment

Flush mount you can easily let it rest on the body. The damage will be done by the little shim plate that goes between the block and spring and will be hidden.

The OTHER place that will get damaged though, is if you have the fine tuners full sharp, the end of the spring will dig into the guitar when you pull back.

I set my Warmoth flush mount up floating for a while, and resting on the body for a while. It actually stayed in tune better floating, because it wasn't crushing into the paint on the body and such.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            I set my Warmoth flush mount up floating for a while, and resting on the body for a while. It actually stayed in tune better floating, because it wasn't crushing into the paint on the body and such.
            ^^^ This. I've never had good results resting on the body. It always results in an inconsistent, "mushy" coupling with the body and mediocre tuning stability. Much better to keep it level with a block of wood in the trem cavity. Even that isn't easy, because the block has to be shaved, sometimes at a slight angle, to get perfect coupling.

Comment

Yup, unless that shim sits PERFECTLY flat on the top of the guitar (it never does, at least, I always set my action on the treble side lower) then it crushes in at an angle.

So you really need to use something good and hard and block it from the spring side. Those doodads that floydupgrades and prorockgear sell are pretty neat, but that metal would make a "clunk" if you let the Floyd snap back.

fretsonthenet has a different one to take care of that issue but I have not used it or anything, but Dave makes good stuff so I don't doubt it works.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked before trying this setup.

Comment

Working...
                X