First time floating trem trauma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time floating trem trauma

Hopefully someone can help me out with this...refinished my Kelly and reinstalling the trem is making me crazy(er)! Can anyone explain step by step how it's done? I've never worked with these before but I do get the idea that it's more or less a combination of spring tension VS string tension,but that's about it. So if someone could take the time to explain everything from step 1 to step???? I would be extemely grateful.

Scroll down about half way to where he starts talking about floating the trem

http://musicgearsource.blogspot.com/...rom-floyd.html

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
      Scroll down about half way to where he starts talking about floating the trem

http://musicgearsource.blogspot.com/...rom-floyd.html
      Thank you very much!!!! On my way out to make a Trem Stop and the trick with the A string and spring claw is pure genius. Thanks again!

Comment

Most important thing of all, with a Floyd, which is critical, is to stretch the strings until the stay in tune. Also make sure it is a new set. Do this before trying anything with height adjustment, intonation, blah blah. Will make your experience much easier. Being setting them up for years. Probably says all that in the link anyway.

Comment

I checked the link he does not mention to stretch the strings. If you don't do this after going through all the steps in the link, after a couple bombs and full step string bends, you'll be out of tune. Although strings are locked they will still stretch. Hope all that helps too! Happy shredding.

Comment

Originally posted by ps43203 View Post
            I checked the link he does not mention to stretch the strings. If you don't do this after going through all the steps in the link, after a couple bombs and full step string bends, you'll be out of tune. Although strings are locked they will still stretch. Hope all that helps too! Happy shredding.
            Actually, most people find that if you tune up the new strings and then lock the nut, you should be all set...with just some fine tuning needed. I have restrung my Floyded Charvel's a lot, and I have had the same luck...tune/lock/go, no stretching required.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
              Actually, most people find that if you tune up the new strings and then lock the nut, you should be all set...with just some fine tuning needed. I have restrung my Floyded Charvel's a lot, and I have had the same luck...tune/lock/go, no stretching required.
              I wish this was the case for me. I'm with ps43203 on this one. I have always had to stretch my strings good before locking them down at the nut. I usually find that I need to stretch & retune several times before it stays, then I can lock down and have to fine tune very little afterward.
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
              X