Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly JS30KE Upgrades

Hey guys,

I've got a 2008 Jackson Kelly JS30KE that I am doing a few cosmetic upgrades on (see pic below) and I have a couple of questions.

1) I'd like to swap the 24 fret neck with sharkfin inlays from my 2009 JS23 Dinky with the dot inlay neck from my Kelly JS30KE. Are the neck pockets the same, will this work?

2) I am awaiting a few more gold parts from StewMac to complete the "Black & Gold" upgrade including a tune-o-matic bridge, but how feasible would it be for a qualified luthier to install a Floyd on this Kelly? I'm sure the holes from the TOM bridge posts would be visible, but would these remaining holes cause any stability problems with a Floyd install?

Thanks!

Andy

Just swap the ferrules (careful now) and bridge to gold and leave it at that. If you really need a floyd, you'd be better off buying a KE3/ke5fr/KE2 (budget permitting).
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Hey wlkinsi, yeah I like how this guitar is turning out so I'm going to finish the gold upgrades with the bridge, ferrules and jackplate, but I just wondered about the Floyd. I am imagining it would look pretty scrappy with the leftover TOM holes and it wouldn't be cheap to fill them and refinish. This project started when I bought the Kelly in 2008 *before* Floyds were available on the JS series. It was the first Jackson I'd had the chance to try and I fell in love with the shape and the slim neck and the low price. Then I saw the KE5FR last year with the pinstriping and it's actually the KE5FR that I am trying to mimic, but then of course late last year new JS32 was released *with* the Floyd. hard to keep up! Anyway thanks for keeping me on the straight path Any thoughts on the neck swap with my JS32 Dinky?

Comment

As you keep chopping out routes and refilling them, you risk weakening it. I suggest save up for a Kelly with a floyd factory fitted instead. As for taking the neck off the dinky, assuming that has the same tom bridge, it should fit, but watch the spacing either side. You may need to shave the pocket of the Kelly body.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Nice job. Got one of the cheapo Kelly too. I really like it.The mods I've done to it are: ToneZone bridge + Evolution neck and Planet Waves tuners.

A good beater guitar! I rocked many gigs with it.

Don't spend too much money on it and if you want a Floyd, I'm like the others, grab a used KE3 or as you said, get the new models with a Floyd. These are tempting me these days... Good affordable guitars
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

POLISH THAT TURD!

J/K! Have fun with it!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              As you keep chopping out routes and refilling them, you risk weakening it. I suggest save up for a Kelly with a floyd factory fitted instead. As for taking the neck off the dinky, assuming that has the same tom bridge, it should fit, but watch the spacing either side. You may need to shave the pocket of the Kelly body.
              Thanks for the tips wilkinsi. I assumed the Floyd would be no-go, was just hoping someone had done it and made it work The JS32 Dinky has a standard non-locking trem. I'm going to take the necks both apart this weekend and we'll see what we get.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                Nice job. Got one of the cheapo Kelly too. I really like it.The mods I've done to it are: ToneZone bridge + Evolution neck and Planet Waves tuners.
                A good beater guitar! I rocked many gigs with it.
                Don't spend too much money on it and if you want a Floyd, I'm like the others, grab a used KE3 or as you said, get the new models with a Floyd. These are tempting me these days... Good affordable guitars
                Hey BenoA, Pretty nice for a beater guitar compared to some of the beaters I picked up years ago Though they are the economy line for Jackson, the JS models are way ahead in quality compared to anything else in it's price range. The necks are amazing, now with sharkfin inlays and some models with the Floyd. Great bang for your buck!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  POLISH THAT TURD!
                  J/K! Have fun with it!
                  Heh, know what you mean, but it's getting some nice polishing But while we're on the subject, what do you see as the differences in the various series compared to the JS models?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X