Pickemup time... DiMarzio style!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickemup time... DiMarzio style!

OK, So I'm a SD guy, always have been, dabble in EMG with many of my Jackson's, but thats about it... I'm looking to broaden my horizons, and look at DiMarzio's, what are the 'go to buckers' my fav SD's are the Custom,Custom5, Jazz, and 59... for Dimarzio, the Breed seems promising, as does the crunch lab, and x2n. any experience welcome!!
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

it really depends on the guitar and what you want it to sound like.

But in a strat (Alder or Ash) I really like the Super Distortion / PAF Pro combo.
    In Basswood the Steve's Special / Air Norton combo can't be beat.
    Also the X2N screams in both Mahogany and Alder.

I never cared for the boxy sound of the Evolutions or the Tone Zones but to each his own.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Mahogany setneck/neckthru and alder/maple bolt-on/neckthru i what I play

Comment

Tone Zone and Super Distortion are my go-to DiMarzios. I am not sure what mid/lower output ceramic DiMarzio has that compares to the Custom but IMO the Tone Zone is kind of like a slightly hotter Custom 5, I guess the Super Distortion is like a hotter Custom.

Comment

Another vote for Super Distortion (bridge) / PAF Pro (Neck). I have those in two of my WR1's.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I was in a similar boat as you about two months ago. I went with a tonezone bridge and paf pro neck in my RR1. The tonezone I'm lukewarm about. I like it but I don't LOVE it. I definitely prefer the duncan custom to it, but I do like it better than the JB that was in the guitar. The PAF Pro in the neck kills though. It's super awesome for leads and pretty good for cleans. Pretty hot in the neck though so you need a hot bridge to balance it.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yep, I think the Tone Zone is definitely "second choice" for me compared to a Custom, but on the other hand I don't always want that "sizzle" the Custom has because of the ceramic magnet.

So when I don't want that, between the Tone Zone and the Custom 5, I actually like the Tone Zone a lot better.

Comment

Super Distortion bridge, PAF neck for me

Tone Zone bridge is also fat and beefy - love it

PAF Pro neck is a very nice lead sound. It has a little of the hi-fi sound going on, so I like the PAF better

Rails - Chopper is killer
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  Tone Zone and Super Distortion are my go-to DiMarzios. I am not sure what mid/lower output ceramic DiMarzio has that compares to the Custom but IMO the Tone Zone is kind of like a slightly hotter Custom 5, I guess the Super Distortion is like a hotter Custom.
                  You think the Tone Zone is similar to a Duncan Custom 5? I found the Custom 5 to be a little scooped in the mids... like a higher output '59, but I still think the '59 is better. I think the Tone Zone is great, has lots of lows and lower mids.
                  I'm also a fan of the Super Distortion and X2N and usually pairing them up with a Super 2.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    You think the Tone Zone is similar to a Duncan Custom 5? I found the Custom 5 to be a little scooped in the mids... like a higher output '59, but I still think the '59 is better. I think the Tone Zone is great, has lots of lows and lower mids.
                    I'm also a fan of the Super Distortion and X2N and usually pairing them up with a Super 2.
                    Yeah, the Custom 5 is pretty scooped. I don't think the Tone Zone is similar in that respect, but it is similar in that it is more of a singing tone rather than the gritty tone of a Custom, Invader, Distortion, or Super Distortion.

That's why I like the Tone Zone better than the Custom 5, which to me is pretty much all bass and treble, I don't have anything it really works in.

Comment

If you want modern high output try X2N / Air Norton combo. (this will give you versatility as well as High Gain.)
                      Vintage high output - Super Distortion / PAF Pro (NOT 36 Anv!).
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        Another vote for Super Distortion (bridge) / PAF Pro (Neck). I have those in two of my WR1's.
                        The Purple set?? love that guitar... may have to doppelganger you, just got a BGF WR1 with an oiled neck... liked the look of the crunchlab purple

Comment

Any love for the Breeds?? Also what about the evolution? think I'm looking at the X2N, I'm looking for passive tone different from my 'sig tone' custom/jazz-59, custom5/jazz-59, EMGx 81/85-SA

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            Yeah, the Custom 5 is pretty scooped. I don't think the Tone Zone is similar in that respect, but it is similar in that it is more of a singing tone rather than the gritty tone of a Custom, Invader, Distortion, or Super Distortion.

That's why I like the Tone Zone better than the Custom 5, which to me is pretty much all bass and treble, I don't have anything it really works in.
                            The C5 does have a bit of a singing tone to it (like a cross between a modern and vintage tone), but I find it works better in mahogany than alder... like the JB. The TZ I like a lot in alder and poplar, still haven't tried it in mahogany yet, but I've got one laying around that's chrome covered that I think I might put in my Hamer one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                              Any love for the Breeds?? Also what about the evolution? think I'm looking at the X2N, I'm looking for passive tone different from my 'sig tone' custom/jazz-59, custom5/jazz-59, EMGx 81/85-SA
                              I haven't tried the Breeds, but I hear they're great. I did have a neck model laying around at one point but sold it since I never had anything to put it in at the time.
                              The X2N is a great pup but can be a little bright in certain guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X