FR stud is moving... Odd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR stud is moving... Odd?

While setting up my DK2, I needed to adjust the action by playing a it with the studs. While doing so, I noticed that the bottom stud (the one next to the whammy bar socket) is moving freely in its place. Obviously, this isn't right, because it prevents me from adjusting the action properly.

What can I do to fix this? should I completely disassemble the bridge and glue the stud in place?

Originally posted by advennt View Post
    What can I do to fix this? should I completely disassemble the bridge and glue the stud in place?
    Yep. Well, you don't need to take the bridge apart. With the nut unlocked you can loosen the strings and take the springs off the back and pull the entire trem off the face of the guitar. This way you don't need to unlock each individual string, just don't kink the strings. Be careful no to scratch the guitar taking the trem off/on. Use some wood glue for the trem stud. Once it's in place, wipe off the excess making sure there's no glue in the threads for the stud and let it dry overnight.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

leaning posts will cause your floyd not to be in tune. i WOULD NOT GLUE THE TREM POSTS. you need them to be adjustable!

there are a couple of ways to fix this:

1. drill the holes out and install threaded studs & posts. some even drill out the holes and use maple dowel material to fill it in, then redrill. the thorough way to fix the problem.
      2. take the posts out. stick and glue toothpicks or other thin pieces of wood inside the post holes. let dry completely. screw in the posts carefully. this will last a while.

others may chime in with other suggestions but this is what i'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
        leaning posts will cause your floyd not to be in tune. i WOULD NOT GLUE THE TREM POSTS. you need them to be adjustable!
        Just to be clear, I didn't say to glue the threaded trem post. It's the stud that is in direct contact with the body which is loose which needs to be securely fastened. He didn't mentioned the stud was specifically leaning in the hole. If the hole is particular wider than the stud, just gluing it without adding some type of support may not work.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

We need pics please to determine the course of action.
          The stud anchor is loose not the stud itself right?As long as its not wallowed the hole in the body you can use wood glue to reset the anchor.
          Just use some wood glue on the outer ridges of the anchor making sure not to get any on the inner threads where the trem stud screws in.
          Then press back in the hole and let dry.
          The studs with coarse threads will wobble a bit the fine thread studs are much tighter.To fix the wobble on a coarse thread stud wrap teflon tape on the stud threads and screw back in.
          Last edited by straycat; 01-22-2011, 11:34 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+1 to everything straycat said.

If you call the parts the "post & bushing", or "post & anchor" there's usually less chance for a mixup.

Comment

Originally posted by advennt View Post
              the bottom stud (the one next to the whammy bar socket) is moving freely in its place.
              yea, we need pics. or clarify what you mean. dk2s have anchors and posts. my instructions were for direct screw-in posts (old floyds). sorry! leaning posts seem to be a common problem with those.

but if the "stud"--or maybe you mean the anchor is moving, but the post sits in the anchor fine--then you need to glue the anchor in place. why would the anchor be loose or "move freely"? has the hole for the anchor widened? if so, just gluing it won't work. you'll need to stick some thin pieces of wood in there for support, like metal medal II has said, then glue the anchor in place. if the hole has not widened, then follow straycat's directions.

Comment

Had the same problem on a MIJ Soloist. Glued the post anchors in place with some wood glue and had no problems after, trem held tuning perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X