Custom Shop Neck Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Neck Only?

Hey guys! Well, I know this might be a bit of a noob question, but can I custom order just a custom shop neck from Charvel? I don't have the money for an entire custom guitar, and already have a few guitar bodies lying around so I'd love to get one. I only have one Charvel, an '08 1st batch Red USA Style 1 2H, and would love to make my own Charvel to match it, with a real custom neck which I hear are amazing.

NO.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
      HELL NO.
      Fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
        NO.
        Lol, well thanks for making this quick and painless for me. Now I just have to save up my cash for a few more years.....

Comment

Why not just troll eBay for a neck? Legacy necks show up from tine to time and pro md necks are plentiful...
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Shmoofer View Post
            Lol, well thanks for making this quick and painless for me. Now I just have to save up my cash for a few more years.....
            Go Warmoth.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
              Go Warmoth.
              I was thinking about that. Can you get a Warmoth neck to Charvel SD specs, and is the quality as good as a real custom shop neck?

Comment

What is the pocket width of the bodies you'll be using? Musikraft will do the C/J heel width, which is 2 1/4". Warmoth does a 2 3/16" heel, which is fine for 99% of the strat bodies out there, but not for an actual Charvel or Jackson body. You can get premium wood from either Musikraft or Warmoth, and both offer a thin C that is pretty close to the Pro mod thickness & backshape.

If I were you, I'd take Grandturk's advice & get a Pro mod neck off of eBay, unless you want figured wood or something. You know you like the shape, the oil finish is done, and the logo is already taken care of.
                Last edited by dg; 01-22-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  What is the pocket width of the bodies you'll be using? Musikraft will do the C/J heel width, which is 2 1/4". Warmoth does a 2 3/16" heel, which is fine for 99% of the strat bodies out there, but not for an actual Charvel or Jackson body. You can get premium wood from either Musikraft or Warmoth, and both offer a thin C that is pretty close to the Pro mod thickness & backshape.

If I were you, I'd take Grandturk's advice & get a Pro mod neck off of eBay, unless you want figured wood or something. You know you like the shape, the oil finish is done, and the logo is already taken care of.
                  The body I'm using is an old cheap strat body, pretty sure its a 2 3/16 heel. Is there any difference between an '08 Style 1 USA neck and one of the newer Pro Mod necks?

Comment

All the USA Production model necks are very consistent. I played quite a few in stores (including different batches) and never noticed any difference between the ones I played. Haven't tried any of the new Japanese ones, but people say the rolling of the fretboard edges is different, and most so far have said the fretwork is better. Comparing the Pro mods to a custom shop strathead, my personal take was that the rolling of the fretboard edges on my custom was more subtle, and my particular neck was just a tad thinner. Fretwork was way better on the custom, particularly the crowning & polishing. Otherwise, I thought they did a hell of a job capturing the feel at a great price.

Comment

I was thinking about that. Can you get a Warmoth neck to Charvel SD specs, and is the quality as good as a real custom shop neck?

Nope.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The body I'm using is an old cheap strat body, pretty sure its a 2 3/16 heel. Is there any difference between an '08 Style 1 USA neck and one of the newer Pro Mod necks?
                        They're both 2 1/4" heel, for one thing.

You have a few ways of accomplishing this; I've done some "Charvel-ish" Warmoth builds and I like them a lot, but they are 2 3/16" heel and the fretboard end is rounded like a Fender. Though I have heard Warmoth will do one straight if you ask them, for an extra charge.

Fret ends will need dressed and they may need a level & crown, though they are usually pretty level. Anyone who says they're "good to go" out of the box likes sharp fret ends and a very crisp fingerboard edge...

Or, you do the Pro Mod neck and have your neck pocket routed to fit. Maybe have a luthier do a level/crown/polish on the frets, too.

Comment

Go Musikraft when it comes to necks. They do the San Dimas style spot-on.

Comment

Why go Musikraft when you can get the real deal off eBay?

Comment

The USA necks are getting fewer and far between, and they're pretty expensive for what you get.

Comment

Working...
                              X