Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to keep a string thru in tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to keep a string thru in tune?

Just wondering if there is a particular type of nut that would help keep my JS30DKT in tune better. As soon as I bend a string, there it goes.
    Charvel Style 2 2H San Dimas
    Charvel Predator (Rainbow Crackle)
    Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
    Jackson Soloist XL Professional
    Jackson KE3 Professional
    Jackson DK2 (Eerie Dess)
    Jackson DKMG
    Jackson DX10D Holoflash
    Jackson JS30DK
    Jackson JS30DKT
    Kramer Focus Flip-flop pink
    Digitech GNX 4
    Randall Half Stack

Originally posted by EOT1 View Post
    Default Is there a way to keep a string thru in tune?
    Yep. Install a floyd rose on it.

OK now more seriously, actually there are some tricks I have heard over the years such as rubbing graphite (pencil lead) in the nut slots to promote the ease of string movement so it dont bind in the nut. I have also heard of people winding the string UP the tuning post instead of down the post. while I cant attest to these personally, they might help.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Having a properly cut nut is the biggie. Also, I just recently started using "Nut Sauce" and it is really good stuff. It won't make up for a poorly cut nut, but it's like icing on the cake as far as tuning stability goes.

Other than that:

--make sure to properly stretch the strings. I always do that, then play with lots of bends and so forth for 10 minutes or so with strings before I figure they are fully ready.
      --make sure to properly install the strings. 3 wraps and no more.
      --always tune up to pitch and never down.
      --make sure the tuning machine nuts and screws are tight.
      --make sure the bridge posts are secure. I always wrap plumber's tape around the threads on the posts when I get a guitar, so there is absolutely no movement.

Some might say to use locking tuners, but I've not really found them to be any better or worse than non-locking as far as tuning stability goes.
      Last edited by Chad; 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Whatever you do, dont tie the strings around the posts either. That will bite you in the ass eventually when you have to spend ten minutes trying to cut the remainder of the string of the post with small wire cutters. It may not happen the first time, but it will happen.

+1 On the graphite or Nut Sauce. I use Nut Sauce and stretch my strings pretty extensively before I play a new set of strings. Also, you may consider a roller bridge. I have one, its pretty good for tuning stability and your strings will last a little longer. Dont think it will stop string breakage at the bridge though. It may postpone it, but I still have 99% of my string breakage occurs at the bridge on my DKMGTFF. I thought a roller bridge would solve that, but it hasnt. Again though, the roller bridge is great for better tuning stability.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I used to have an old Peavey that had a tremolo, but no locking nut. It had a nut made of graphite and it stayed in tune quite well. I ordered what I thought was going to be a graphite nut. The nut seems to be some kind of plastic material similar to whats on the guitar now.
          Charvel Style 2 2H San Dimas
          Charvel Predator (Rainbow Crackle)
          Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
          Jackson Soloist XL Professional
          Jackson KE3 Professional
          Jackson DK2 (Eerie Dess)
          Jackson DKMG
          Jackson DX10D Holoflash
          Jackson JS30DK
          Jackson JS30DKT
          Kramer Focus Flip-flop pink
          Digitech GNX 4
          Randall Half Stack

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            Whatever you do, dont tie the strings around the posts either. That will bite you in the ass eventually when you have to spend ten minutes trying to cut the remainder of the string of the post with small wire cutters. It may not happen the first time, but it will happen.

+1 On the graphite or Nut Sauce. I use Nut Sauce and stretch my strings pretty extensively before I play a new set of strings. Also, you may consider a roller bridge. I have one, its pretty good for tuning stability and your strings will last a little longer. Dont think it will stop string breakage at the bridge though. It may postpone it, but I still have 99% of my string breakage occurs at the bridge on my DKMGTFF. I thought a roller bridge would solve that, but it hasnt. Again though, the roller bridge is great for better tuning stability.
            Go ahead and try using Nut Sauce on the DKMGTFF's bridge if you haven't already. Even though it's called "Nut Sauce", I use it on all contact points which includes bridge saddles, string trees, etc. I even use it on the rollers of a Bigsby on one guitar. It works great in all areas. The Big Bends people did a test by stressing a string and it took a certain amount of repetitions for the string to break. Then they applied nut sauce and it took thousands upon thousands more repetitions before the string broke.

Comment

Is what you ordered a TUSQ nut? I though they looked like just plastic but they're not. And they're great..
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
              X