String Buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Buzz

I am setting things up for a possible trade tomorrow and wanted to get an idea of what to look for. The guitar that I am going to look at is an Epiphone Les Paul. The guy said that the high E string has buzzing that deadens the note.

He said it is only on that one string and only after about the 17th fret. Everything else seems to play fine.

I have not seen this guitar, except in pictures. It has what appears to be an Epiphone version of a Bigsby on it, just in case that may be relevant.

I am just wondering what could be the cause of this issue? Is it something that is easy to remedy with an adjustment or is it something bad like a warped or twisted neck? Thanks for any advice guys!

My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

If it's just one string, then most likely a fret has lifted or was never leveled properly. Might simply be a matter of gluing the fret down. Or it might need leveled as well. Pretty simple for a competent tech, but $ can add up fast. If you have access to a decent tech or don't mind doing it on your own, probably no biggie. Whatever the case, I'd reduce trade value by $50 to $100. And definitely inspect the neck to make sure there aren't other issues.

Comment

You know, unless the guy has any experience with diagnosing these things it's kinda iffy. Typically it could be a raised (more work involved) or high fret (not too bad, file or steel wool) or a bunch of high frets or a combination of that and the string being too low. My ibanez does it after the 22nd fret g b strings slightly and e string a little worse - (high 24th fret) not a big deal haven't bothered yet but will take it down a tad when ever i get around to it.

Ask him if it does it on the 18th, 19th and so on or just the 17th - then it would maybe just be the 18th fret.
      If your doing the trade in person, sight down the neck and look for a high fret or warpage.

EDIT: Chad posted while i was typing i guess, heh.

Comment

I will be doing the trade in person. So the general consensus here is that it is likely a fret that's either not seated right or otherwise unleveled?

I will ask if it does it on the 18th 19th etc. I will also try to visually look down the neck but I'm not 100% what I should be/should not be seeing.

Could it be any kind of simple thing like raising the bridge or adjusting the truss rod or anything of that nature?
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Firstly just play the string and listen to the buzz, where it seems to be coming from, look at it closely with the string fretted and look at the oscillation of the string, you can kinda see where it oscilates the largest and get a general idea.

Sighting down a neck into some light looking just about level at it if a frets real high you can pretty much see it, but can be hard if your eyes are bad i guess.
          Sighting for warpage or twist is the same as doing it for a 2x4 if you've ever done that, tho most all of those are warped, lol. Twisting is what is a deal beaker, bow is not as bad that's what the truss is for just depends on if it's extreme.

Comment

If it's buzzing on every fret from 17th fret up, that string may be too low at the bridge and needs to be raised up. The 17th fret is too high on the neck for the truss rod to make any difference so I doubt its a neck twist thing. Try raising the bridge on the high E side and see if it goes away. Also, make sure the string itself isn't the culprit. Old strings can buzz anywhere and everywhere.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
              I think I have a good idea what to check for tomorrow.

I sure hope is just something minor, because I really like the look of the guitar and will be getting a good deal on it if the trade goes through.

Oh, I just got a reply from the guy and he says it starts at the 17th fret and continues at every fret after that.
              Last edited by DalyTek; 01-20-2011, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                Oh, I just got a reply from the guy and he says it starts at the 17th fret and continues at every fret after that.
                Hummm.......then I'd proceed with caution. If the last fret was high or loose, it could cause the other frets beyond 17 to buzz. But there also could be a hump in the fretboard. Really, just speculation from this point. No more can be said without inspecting the guitar. I'd say give it a good look over and follow your gut feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                  Carefully look at the E string and compare its action with the other 5. If it's a lot lower, you just might need a new saddle with a slightly higher height. You can also just raise the bridge while you're there checkin it out and see if the buzzing stops, but you be affecting all the strings action or at least the top 3 strings.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

High E buzzes at the 17th and up = no deal.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well he decided not to trade,because he needs cash (understandable, we all do!)
                      But he still has the guitar. What would be a good cash offer to make for it?
                      I'm not sure what this guitar is worth even normally, much less with the buzzing issue.
                      But I really like the look of this guitar!
                      Last edited by DalyTek; 01-26-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X