String tension question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String tension question.

I'm using Slinky 9s on my Hamer (pink pack) but I find them a bit "stiff" on the guitar.

Can anyone recommend a good string set with less tension?

Thanks in advance!!

I thought you could get Ernie balls in 8s, maybe try them

Comment

I would recommend playing 10's for a year or so
      9's feel like elastic bands after that
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Try DR Tite-fits. I find they seem to feel a little more loose (ironically) than other brands. On the wound strings of course... I think it has something to do with the compression winding.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Man, 9's tight?

I would try 8's I guess, but that's really thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
            I would recommend playing 10's for a year or so
            9's feel like elastic bands after that
            i agree with that i was using 11 to 56 in d standard and now playing 9s in e its pretty weird haha

Comment

I dont think that even 20 plus years ago I started with .9's. I was tossed a pack of Slinky 10-46 at the local music store and told to try these.

Of course now a days its all 13-56 (tuned down 1/2 step in all fairness) and I could not ever imagine 9's

To each his own mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Try DR Tite-fits. I find they seem to feel a little more loose (ironically) than other brands. On the wound strings of course... I think it has something to do with the compression winding.
                I agree with Hellbat on the DR Tite-fit strings. These are my favorite 9-42 strings and whenever I swap out the as-delivered 9 gauge strings on my guitars, it always seems like I have to re-adjust the trem springs as the DR's have less tension.

Comment

DR Tite Fit and GHS Boomers will have less tension at pitch.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

this thread has got me thinking... all these years i've only used d'addarios. never had an urge to try anything else. they feel right to me. now i'm wondering about the dr tite fit strings.... does anyone know how they compare to d'addarios?

Comment

I use Dunlop 10-46 tuned to Eb. I love them way better than any other brand
                      This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
                        this thread has got me thinking... all these years i've only used d'addarios. never had an urge to try anything else. they feel right to me. now i'm wondering about the dr tite fit strings.... does anyone know how they compare to d'addarios?
                        I used to use D'Addario XL strings (110s or 120s) from 1987 until last year or so. Now I use DR Tite-fits and they are as reliable as the XL's but the compression windings make them a little more loose, a little brighter, and they seem to stay 'fresh' sounding longer. I do get a bit more string to fret buzz with them but i can't hear it through my amp even on clean so it's not a factor for me. I still use EXL145's on my C-standard guitar but both my E-standard RR1's have Tite-fits.

If you have a dealer near you that sells the DR's, give them a try. Even if you don't like them they are not priced much differently than D'Addarios where I live.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

hey helbat. i think i'll try the dr tite fit strings. why do you think they buzz more? b'cuz they vibrate more/are thinner/hence sounding brighter? just curious. thanks!

Comment

It all comes down to string mass. Strings with a thicker core wire will have higher tension because they have a higher unit mass. I personally love D'Addario strings. It's been years since I tried Boomers or DR strings, but I didn't care for them. Lots of reports of QC and inconsistency issues with DR strings. I've probably gone through 150+ packs of D'Addario strings over the years and don't recall ever having a dud string. I also always measure my strings with dial calipers when installing and can vouch that D'Addario are consistent.

Comment

I like DR but where I am they are priced a lot higher, so I usually stick with Ernie Ball or Dunlop which feel very similar to each other. I'll use D'addarios in a pinch but they are not my first choice, I find they feel a bit stiffer and more "coarse" if you will. The only brand I have absolutely hated was GHS, they were ok at first but I found they wouldn't hold tune well and I changed them after only four or five hours of playing.
                              Last edited by potatohead; 01-23-2011, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X