37mm Block on Top Mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37mm Block on Top Mount?

I saw someone talking about replacing their top mount JT-6 and they said they could use either a 37 OR a 42mm trem block. Is this right?

I am going to have it sit as flat on the body as possible...I won't be trying to get any pull-up from it, so could I use a 37mm block on an UNrecessed Floyd since I'll only be diving?
    Jackson Pro DK2HT - Metallic Black
    Peavey 6505mh
    Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

boy, that would be a close call......
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

So to avoid a headache...I should just go with the block upgrade? I'm not a fan of those damn headaches...just trying to save a bit of $. lol

The alternative to the OFR is the Gotoh which comes with a 41mm block...would that be close enough? There is even a thin metal shim on between the block and the plate on my JT-6 that I could borrow to make up the 1mm?

I have heard these Gotoh's are excellent, and are what's on the EBMM's...Wolfgang's etc...I wouldn't mind not having THE OFR on it...as long as I get a quality bridge for my money.
      Peavey 6505mh
      Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

I think 41mm would be fine. 37mm may not do it though. As far as Gotoh, haven't tried one but I've heard all good things about them. There is more out there than OFR's.. I personally really like the feel of the LP's. I have 2 of the 1994 squared plate JT580LP's (one on my Model 6) and I love them.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

My 2005 Charvel Star came with a 37mm block, and it was non-recessed. There was room for a tiny amount of pull back, but not much. I just dropped the trem to the body and shimmed the saddles anyway.
          I think with a guitar that's got a 42mm block, the trem sits a little higher because of the neck being tilted back more.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pro Mods use a 40 mm block now (or, end of USA production) but at first they used to use a 37.

USUALLY a 37 will work OK. If you're talking about on a Model-series guitar though I'd go for the 42mm. You can try prorockgear.com for a "regular" Floyd block instead of the pricey giant brass block.

Comment

Originally posted by Model4 View Post
              I saw someone talking about replacing their top mount JT-6 and they said they could use either a 37 OR a 42mm trem block. Is this right?
              The JT-6 is 42 mm, so if replacing a trem on a model series, go with that size.

The later toothpaste model charvels used 37 mm and were also top-mounted, at least the 650xl I have encountered were. They had a partial route for pulling up on the front of the guitar, but they still were mounted on top of the body.
              To make em fit with the smaller block, they routed more of the wood away on the back underneath the trem springs. So the springs were no longer parallel to the body but were angled going toward the front of the guitar, from the direction of the claw to the trem block.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If you're going to shim the angle out of the neck & lower the trem all the way to rest on the body, I'd use a 37mm block. That's exactly what that size block is for. The 42mm block is designed to be used on a fully floating non-recessed trem. If you lower a trem with a 42mm block, be prepared for the possibility that you may have to go without a trem cavity cover because it hits.

Comment

I am going to go with the Gotoh which comes with a 41 or 40mm block depending on the schematic you look at...so you are saying I can set it up so that I can pull up on it even though it's a top-mount? I didn't know that. I would like some pull up on it if I could get it..
                  Peavey 6505mh
                  Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

BTW, I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far..not just on this thread, but I am really liking this forum!
                    Peavey 6505mh
                    Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Model4 View Post
                      I am going to go with the Gotoh which comes with a 41 or 40mm block depending on the schematic you look at...so you are saying I can set it up so that I can pull up on it even though it's a top-mount? I didn't know that. I would like some pull up on it if I could get it..
                      Absolutely! Lots of people (mainly people who weren't playing before '89 or so) think you can only pull up if a floyd is recessed, but that just isn't the case. The main reason recessed floyds came about was because people (Steve Vai being the first, iirc) wanted a lower profile trem, with the strings sitting about as high off the guitar as with a regular Fender-style trem. Prior to that, floyds always had some pullup range, and some people added a rout at the rear to give it more. Once they started recessing the trems, they just incorporated the deeper rear section into the rout, so most guitars with recessed floyds have more range than the avg. non-recessed guitar.

Comment

Awesome information! Thanks again...I am not going to be doing the setup on it...we have kind of a "family guitar tech" that my father in law uses...his name is Greg Hall here in Indiana...he's worked for Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Nugent so let's just say we trust him with our stuff

I'll make sure to have him set it to float for me!
                        Peavey 6505mh
                        Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

Working...
                        X