Help me pick which pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick which pickups

I just got a MIM midnight wine body(alder), I'm going to put a black pickguard, HS config and I'm getting a strat neck with a rosewood board.
    I'd like your opinion on which pickups that I have would look(black or cream/black zebra) and sound the best.
    Neck I have a Jackson j100 and a Duncan Designed sc101.
    Bridge I have a Jackson J90C, Dimarzio Evo, Seymour duncan custom(zebra), and a dimarzio super distortion.
    which would you guys go with?

Im clueless when it comes to sc's, so no opinion there, but for the hb, Id go with the Dim. SD, or the J90. The SD Custom from what Ive heard is a rather full sounding pup, and my experience with pups with more bass and hollow chambers in the body(the routing under the pick guard) of more porous woods have always seemed to be muddy to me. I have no experience with the Evo at all.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

It's all going to boil down to your taste, but for me nothing beats a Custom in an alder guitar. I've only had them in rear-loaded guitars, though. For the single, I'd go with the J100. It's the only Jackson pickup I like besides the J90C.

Comment

Take the SD custom and swap in an Alnico 8 magnet. That combo puts me in tonal heaven. I'd go with the jackson SC as well.
        Last edited by The Rossness; 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I'd try the custom because I've never had one (love the Custom Custom). Super Distortions sound great in a strat. Also, I have a J50BC in a strat and love it. There aren't any pickups I've ever really hated. I always find a way to make them work.

Comment

I don't generally like to mix and match brands in the same guitar. Go with the J100/J90C.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              I don't generally like to mix and match brands in the same guitar.
              Same here although you must admit it makes no sense

Pickup are pickups.

I guess it's the same silly notion as not mixing different brands of oil.

Comment

I decided on the J100 and the SD custom. My only problem is getting the direct mount j100 on a pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Same here although you must admit it makes no sense

Pickup are pickups.

I guess it's the same silly notion as not mixing different brands of oil.
                  I agree, it's ridiculous. Still, there it is.

Comment

Hi, guys im building a project using a charvel body a jackson shark fin neck and i have dimarzio pickups which im coil tapping but im pretty new to this and ive noticed my bridge is to big, i mea its fits ito th cvity fine but the holes dot line up and im pretty ure the strings wont line up with my nek right, now i know this is to do with vintage spacing but what bridge wud u recommend? and what size?

Comment

Originally posted by sammyboy162 View Post
                      Hi, guys im building a project using a charvel body a jackson shark fin neck and i have dimarzio pickups which im coil tapping but im pretty new to this and ive noticed my bridge is to big, i mea its fits ito th cvity fine but the holes dot line up and im pretty ure the strings wont line up with my nek right, now i know this is to do with vintage spacing but what bridge wud u recommend? and what size?
                      You probably should start a new thread because no one will probably look here to help you with your problem. Post pictures of the issues you are having, because I'm confused already.

Comment

Working...
                      X