Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About Neck Pocket Finish Crack ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Neck Pocket Finish Crack ??

Hey Dudes whats happening? I had this on a few of my old Kramers back in the day & of course (It never bothered me any) I have seen this on alot of other Axe's over the years & have ALWAYS heard different opinions. How normal is it to still see "The Usual" 1/4"- to -1/2" Neck Pocket Finish Crack? Is this still a common deal on Bolt On's even as of today? Anyone that I have seen NEVER went through to the Body just the Clear Coat. Just the normal I guess "Stress" crack from bolting on the Neck. Should you turn/shy away from buying your Dream Axe because of this (Or for that matter any Axe?) or like I have always heard...Dont worry about it it's no big deal! Thanks! for any & all info.....Steve
    Last edited by axe dude; 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM.
    *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
    *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
    *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
    Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
    *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
    *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
    *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
    *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

It was really common when I was in Colorado due to the dry air. Here in texas I havent noticed it as much. I dont let it bother me if its my "dream" axe. But if its a dime a dozen can find another one I would pass.
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

It's no big deal, unless a tiny crack in the finish is a big deal to you.

Comment

I've had that issue on lots of bolt on guitars and I live in a pretty humid part of the world. It's merely cosmetic.
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

its nice to hear that it is not a big deal.. my DK2M has also that issue.

Comment

Not a big deal or even a small deal. Funny though - I ain't got none - but most of my guitars are new now.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Funny though - I ain't got none - but most of my guitars are new now.
              Same here. Should we sand our neck pockets before this happens?

Comment

Yes, make them fit good and loose. Ignore the idiots that say it lets the tonez leak out.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  Ignore the idiots that say it lets the tonez leak out.
                  That's alright - I got plenty of other places where I lose tone:

- Non-blocked Floyd Rose - big loss of tone
                  - No BIG BRASS BLOCK (or Callaham block for strat trems) - probably a 25 - 30% loss in tone there
                  - Strat trems setup... you know - not flush to the body (so it actually works) - probably losing a good 5-10 seconds of sustain (and of course - tone loss!)
                  - Locking nut - obviously a tone sink
                  - Ceramic magnet Dimarzios - oh man, tone-suckers
                  - Jumbo frets - obviously don't sound as good as tiny little vintage wire
                  - No RS Guitarworks 50's Wiring - I'm really missing out
                  - No tone pot - I mean... you can't get good tone without a tone pot - that goes without saying
                  - Basswood - 'nuff said!
                  - Strats routed H-S-H with a single coil in a hum slot - less wood = less tone!!!
                  - Cheapo-Dimarzio cables - like putting a blanket over my amp
                  - High-gain Boogie - like putting a blanket over the blanket over my amp!
                  - New manufacture tubes - absolute shite!!!
                  - $5 strings - $15 strings sound better!!!
                  - Poly finish - blech - I shouldn't even bother playing - I'm out of tone by now

Blank yo!

Comment

What about your picks?
                    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Eric Johnson Jazz III's - tone multiplier by at least 33.33%
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        That's alright - I got plenty of other places where I lose tone:

- Non-blocked Floyd Rose - big loss of tone
                        - No BIG BRASS BLOCK (or Callaham block for strat trems) - probably a 25 - 30% loss in tone there
                        - Strat trems setup... you know - not flush to the body (so it actually works) - probably losing a good 5-10 seconds of sustain (and of course - tone loss!)
                        - Locking nut - obviously a tone sink
                        - Ceramic magnet Dimarzios - oh man, tone-suckers
                        - Jumbo frets - obviously don't sound as good as tiny little vintage wire
                        - No tone pot - I mean... you can't get good tone without a tone pot - that goes without saying
                        - Basswood - 'nuff said!
                        - Strats routed H-S-H with a single coil in a hum slot - less wood = less tone!!!
                        - Cheapo-Dimarzio cables - like putting a blanket over my amp
                        - High-gain Boogie - like putting a blanket over the blanket over my amp!
                        - New manufacture tubes - absolute shite!!!
                        - $5 strings - $15 strings sound better!!!
                        - Poly finish - blech - I shouldn't even bother playing - I'm out of tone by now

Amen, dude.

Comment

- Non-blocked Floyd Rose - big loss of tone - I'm there too
                          - No BIG BRASS BLOCK (or Callaham block for strat trems) - probably a 25 - 30% loss in tone there - Ok, I'm a sucker for big blocks although I don't hear shit for a difference. I've only done this once - a 37mm in my SL2H, but I'm tempted to do it to more of my guitars even though I know I'm throwing good money away. I'm stupid.
                          - Strat trems setup... you know - not flush to the body (so it actually works) - probably losing a good 5-10 seconds of sustain (and of course - tone loss!) - Same here.
                          - Locking nut - obviously a tone sink - new to me
                          - Ceramic magnet Dimarzios - oh man, tone-suckers - Ceramic is nice - Get some EMG81's
                          - Jumbo frets - obviously don't sound as good as tiny little vintage wire - Jumbo frets are the SHIT
                          - Basswood - 'nuff said! - I'm there
                          - Cheapo-Dimarzio cables - like putting a blanket over my amp - My cables are no-name
                          - High-gain Boogie - like putting a blanket over the blanket over my amp! - Can't match you there. I really want to get a Boogie Mark head with an EQ
                          - New manufacture tubes - absolute shite!!! - My 1998 DSL100 still has the original tubes
                          - $5 strings - $15 strings sound better!!! - $5 Strings! You rich fucker - I use $2 strings!

Comment

Hey Thanks Alot everyone for all the info!! I didn't think it was to big of a deal either but wanted to hear what other's thought about it. Grandturk......Killer Reply Dude!
                            *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
                            *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
                            *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
                            Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
                            *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
                            *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
                            *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
                            *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

Comment

Working...
                            X