Blocking floyd best ways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking floyd best ways?

On my charvel San dimas pro mod I'd like to block the trem for ease of down tuning but still have dive available.

My options as STD are

Wood block in trem cavity

Trem stopper or block

Trem stabiliser

Lower trem down till it's on the body and route neck pocket out till neck sits lower.

Any advice on what is better?

What would you do?

Not keen on a back stop as you can here a metallic click when it returns home when using a l shaped bracket and grub screw.

Thanks

You can't beat the wood block in the cavity IMHO. I've never tried the tremolno, but some guys swear by them.

Comment

Don't go with a trem stabiliser. PITA hunk of junk IMO, it sits between the claw and the sustain block, it works, but costs too much for what it is. A small hunk of wood is cheaper and easier, just measure twice and cut once
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

If you don't want to pay for a Tremol-no, Dave makes a nice adjustable $6 trem stop that has soft plastic pads to stop the metallic click.

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/hardwar..._Tremolo_Stops

Comment

Nothing.

I fail to see what is so difficult about dealing with a fulcrum trem.

I had an HM Strat that I purchased blocked, and had fears that removing the block would zap the mojo from the tone. I removed it. No noticable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjones2004x View Post
            Lower trem down till it's on the body and route neck pocket out till neck sits lower.
            Lower trem down on body and use shims to raise the saddles. Worked great on my 2005 Charvel Star.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Set-12-Shims...item53dd9d775c
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got two charvels with a simple trem-stopper. Like this:

Works fine. The cheapest - and easiest is still a wooden block.

Comment

+1 to the above. I have these on two guitars.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  If you don't want to pay for a Tremol-no, Dave makes a nice adjustable $6 trem stop that has soft plastic pads to stop the metallic click.

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/hardwar..._Tremolo_Stops
                  This looks like the best and most sensible hardware implementation (as in, more than a piece of wood if you want adjustability!) i've seen, too bad it won't fit under the springs on my Ibanez

Comment

I put this on my RR24, works great
                    http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabiliz...tallation.html

Comment

I have a chunk of rosewood glued inside my trem cavity blocking mine on my charvel model 5. The posts were loose, the knife edges are worn so I blocked it for dive only. I've fixed the loose posts with teflon tape but haven't gotten a floyd for it yet so it's still blocked. Now that I have my RR1 and changed my picking/palm muting technique, I definitely prefer my trem floating now though.

The beauty of the piece of wood is you only need a small drop of wood glue to tack it in there. The pressure of the trem resting on it keeps it in place. Later on you decide you want floating, give it a good tap and throw the piece of wood in the case and you are floating. Keep the wood in case you are indecisive.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by metalone View Post
                        Is that like a trem-stopper that still allows you to pull up?

Comment

Working...
                        X